GMAT 700

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:620

GMAT 700

by combo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:36 am
So, after debating and wondering it finally happened. - I got my 700 (Q40 V45)

Last time I got 620( Q41 V35). So as you can see, my maths has stayed stuck, but the verbal has soared. I struggled with the prep immensely - I have a young family and studying was really hard. You single guys and girls.....honestly, finish all your studying now !!

I did 12 CATS all together - (MGMAT and Gmatprep) - and my scores varied from 660 to 730. So I figured I`d get somewhere in between. But I worked quite hard on my maths. My maths scores got stuck at 48 and refused to budge. My lowest maths score was 43. My verbal did go up to 46 - but I got common questions in Gmatprep.

Strangely, my maths questions were quite hard at one point. I had tough probability and sequence questions. They got easier from about question 23-24 - and then stayed in the 600-700 range. All I can think is from that time I must have time too many careless mistakes. Weird.

In verbal, I honestly could not tell. The level of BS on the GMAT is very high - I challenge anyone to predict how well they will do on the basis of the type of questions they are getting.
I did not see any trick long passages on CR like you get on the MGMAT or Kaplan CATs. The CRs did get tough though and the passages longer - but only on a couple. No analysis of issue questions at all.

RC - the 3rd passage was a resonably hard scientific one - again I have seen much harder passages on Gmatprep itself - never mind MGMAT.
SC - I really could not tell. I am English - so my english is ok - but GMAT english is obvously odd at times - so I just went with what sounded right.

I used the MGMAT SC book a lot and pracised SC from K800 as well. I found that the questions I was getting wrong were the ones that did not sound right to me - but ACTUALLY WERE. But in the actual exam - I just went with what sounded right to me. This is obviously different for everyone.

I ate 2 chocolates during my breaks an drank lucozade. After the quant - I splashed water all over my face and head in the loo and rubbed my scalp vigorously. I got some glances - but it made me feel fresher.
Use the breaks and take some energy snacks with you.

If you are new to this- dont believe a word of most of what you hear. There are some in this BB who offer very sound advice - Gileyal and Blueyonder are good examples. Especially Gileyal - dude I owe you !! Your stuff abot psychology is SO SO TRUE.

I think to do well in the GMAT the first thing one needs to do is - RELAX. You can do it again. Dont get bitter. If you get a bad score - step back and think what you can change. In verbal - I realised my weakness was SC - so I really went to town on it. If after all that - my verbal score stayed the same - I would put my hands up and say hey I did my best - but it wasnt good enough. So what ? I can still make money, live well, do a great job. YOU DONT NEED THE GMAT OR AN MBA TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE. CHILL OUT.

But all this does not explain my quant score - something I did work on. If anyone has any ideas, I would be greatful to hear them. I mean, how could I be getting 70-80%ile on all my practice CATs and then get a 59%ile in the real thing ?

Any questions about the exam feel free to ask.
Thanks Combo

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vanesslondon » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:44 am
Just wanted to say awesome score - something to be truly proud of! I hope I can do as well - now go celebrate!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by combo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:23 pm
thank you vaness, hope you get a good score too. :D

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:21 am
congratulations !

Legendary Member

by aj5105 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:26 am
nice post,enjoyed reading it. :D

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by david_bernardi » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:01 pm
you've given me hope, thanks!

I'm stuck at 42-44 Quant range and verbal has been around 35. Any advice on how to get verbal above 40?

I'm a slower than average reader and have spent a good amount of time on MGAT SC. Any tricks or special advice would be greatly appreciated!

Legendary Member

by gabriel » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:45 pm
A well deserved score. Congratulations.