Gmat 550 Quant(47) Verbal(20)-->Disaster

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Gmat 550 Quant(47) Verbal(20)-->Disaster

by nav88 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:51 am
Hi

I gave my Gmat today and scored a really disappointing score of 550(quant 47, verbal 20).Took me 3 hours to come back to normal. Well I don't know where to start my story. I prepared rigorously for 10 months. Last 4 months were fully dedicated to GMAT only. Im am working in an IT company. Although I managed to study for GMAT at work, i think all that has gone in drain. Took Sunday off from studies. Following are my Mock Score

GMAT prep 1 660 (quant 48, verbal 34)

I knew i need to improve my verbal. Dedicated myself to focus more on Verbal. Books used for study : OG 10,OG 12, Mahanttan SC, PowerScore CR Bible, Ron's Reading Comprehension Videos.

Did OG 12 Thrice. Kept a log of all my mistakes.Read every explanation carefully and cleared all my concept. Then i did OG10. Same strategy. Read every Explanation and made notes.

Mahanttan Mocks:

MGMAT 1 680 (10/29/2102) (quant 49, verbal 34)
MGAMT 2 670 (11/03/2012) (quant 49, verbal 33)
MGMAT 3 700 (11/04/2012) (quant 47, verbal 38)
MGMAT 4 700 (11/15/2012) (quant 47, verbal 38)

GMAT Prep 2: 730 ( quant 50, verbal 38) (11/23/2012)

Note: For All mocks I took AWA, IR and two 8 minutes break. Strictly like Real Exam

Ok Fast Forward Test day. Everything was under control. Essay was pretty easy. IR was too easy. Answered well within time.
Quant: I was getting medium difficulty questions. I still don't know why i scored 47 in quant. Well its still acceptable
Verbal: No idea WHY and WHAT went wrong. Kept my cool and answered each question carefully. I was under no mental pressure what so ever.Understood what the question was asking. SC was my strong point, well i guess i was wrong in that too. RC straightforward questions. CR inference ,Strengthen, Assumption,Bold Face Question.

Finally time to accept or reject score. I selected to accept the score and was Devastated to see my score Quant 47 Verbal 20.

Verbal 20?? I was taken aback. 130-150 point difference between actual GMAT and Mocks. I am in No way questioning Mocks, but verbal 20 is like unacceptable to me. Still confused WHY it happened.

SO Its a Sincere Request , please suggest me what to do now. My Aim was 730+. Although Im down ,but Im not Out. I have exhausted all my material. Cant study again from these books. Can i recover from this disaster? I need to give GMAT again before end January.

Experts Please Help

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 pm
I think you need to revise all lessons concerned with the Verbal Section and during an extensive course you should be able to identify your weaknesses and gaps. If preparation to the exam took you 10 months, chances are you don't remember everything that you have learnt. Also it is not recommendable to learn from the Official Guides - it is better to use them as a testing tool once you have gone through a course concerned with the theory of what is tested in the GMAT.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course