Getting back to the GMAT Groove - Advice/Tips Welcome

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
Hi Community

Been some time since I posted last. I never realized how sending out applications can take a huge chunk of one's time. Phew!!

I am attempting the GMAT again in a month (4th March) to push up my score from a 690 to a 720. My last attempt was on the 26th Nov'12.

I am concerned since I've not touched my GMAT course material since my last attempt ( due to work and sending out applications) a month may not be enough for me to bring about a 30 points improvement (especially with the pressures now days at the office)

Previous Course Material Reference::

OG 12 & 13
Coaching Institute's Material for Verbal and Quantitative

Tests attempted

GMAT Preps 1&2
Score 800
Coaching Institute's Tests (10 in total)

My question is what strategy have people in similar situations (that is working professionals with a gap in their GMAT study) applied to improve their scores??

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by eki » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:41 am
Hi Pallavi,

The biggest problem that you will face will be getting rid of the inertia.The best way to deal with it is to start with your strongest section. Do the revision on day 1 and start solving easier questions on first 2 days. This will slowly bring you back in the prep mode and will set the ball rolling.
After this make a time table (a realistic one) and give maximum weightage to your weakest area.Try doing quant for 2 days, verbal for 2 days ...so that in a week you brush up both quant and verbal.
After studying for about 10 days, you will start feeling confident and thats the time to take your first mock.

The important points you should take care of are :
1. Concentrate more on your weak areas.
2. Dont overstress
3. Try solving only official problems.

regards,
Eki

Followed by:13 members

by soni_pallavi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:38 am
Thanks...

Yes an important consideration will be exactly how many days to block for initial practice before taking my first mock...

Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:06 am
Since you have not taken any CAT except the GMAT PREP's i would recomend that you spend the initial few days revising the concepts that are tested (refresh your memory). You can use GMAT QP 1 for practice, it has some great questions especially in the Medium-High and High Difficulty areas and is a must do especially if you are writing the test for the second time. You can then move on to take Manhattan tests (free with the purchase of a strategy guide) and see where you fall short (it gives you top class analytics) so that you can plan a targeted prep for the next few weeks.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas