Geometry - Circles

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

Geometry - Circles

by gmattesttaker2 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:30 pm
Hello,

Can you please assist with the following? This is from OG 13 (Qn. 122). Sorry, I tried to draw the diagram but it was not coming accurately. So I am not uploading it.

122)
In the figure above, points A, B, C, D, and E lie on a line. A is on both circles, B is the center of the smaller circle, C is the center of the larger circle, D is on the smaller circle, and E is on the larger circle. What is the area of the region inside the larger circle and outside the smaller circle?

(1) AB = 3 and BC = 2
(2) CD = 1 and DE = 4

OA: D

[spoiler]1) is fine but not clear with why 2) is also sufficient.[/spoiler]
My approach was as follows:

CD = 1 and DE = 4. So CE = 5 and so Radius of larger circle = 5

In the book it is saying something like Diameter of larger circle = 10. I am lost after this point though. Can you please assist?

Regards,
Sri

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Tue May 14, 2013 10:47 pm
Q122

In the figure above, points A, B, C, D, and E lie on a line. A is on both circles, B is the center of the smaller circle, C is the center of the larger circle, D is on the smaller circle, and E is on the larger circle. What is the area of the region inside the larger circle and outside the smaller circle?

(1) AB = 3 and BC = 2
(2) CD = 1 and DE = 4
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Tue May 14, 2013 10:54 pm
DB = AB = Radius of smaller circle = r
AC = CE = Radius of Larger circle. = R

You need to find the Area of Larger circle - Area of smaller circle.

PI(R^2 - r^2) = ?

1. AB = r = 3
and AB + BC = AC = R = 3+2 = 5

so sufficient.

2. CD + DE = CE = R = 5
Now AE = 2R = 10
AE - DE = 2r = 10 - 4 = 6
hence r = 3

hence sufficient.

Answer is D.
Hence not sufficient.
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

Re: Geometry - Circles

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Thu May 20, 2021 8:44 am
gmattesttaker2 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2013 7:30 pm
Hello,

Can you please assist with the following? This is from OG 13 (Qn. 122). Sorry, I tried to draw the diagram but it was not coming accurately. So I am not uploading it.

122)

(1) AB = 3 and BC = 2
(2) CD = 1 and DE = 4

OA: D

Solution:

Question Stem Analysis:

We are given a large circle that wholly contains a smaller circle. the area outside the small circle that is inside the large circle. If we can determine either the radius or the diameter of each circle, we will be able to determine the area inside the large circle that is outside the small circle.

Statement One Alone:

From statement one, we see that the radius AB of the small circle is 3. And since BC = 2, we add this to the length of AB= 3 to get AC = 2 + 3 = 5, the radius of the larger circle.

Statement one alone is sufficient.

Statement Two Alone:

We know that CE is the radius of the larger circle, Since CD = 1 and DE = 4, we see that CE = 1 + 4 = 5.

We know that CE = AC = 5 since C is the center of the larger circle. We are given that CD = 1, and we know that AC + CD = AD is the diameter of the smaller circle. Thus, by substitution, we know that AD = 5 + 1 = 6, and this is the diameter of the smaller circle.

Statement two is also sufficient.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage