General Question about DS

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

General Question about DS

by vittovangind » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:37 pm
Hello,

I'm wondering whether the answers to the DS questions in the GMAT Exam will be of similar length and complexities as the one in the OG's or whether this is only for practice purposes.

In reality, i'm doing not too bad on PS but DS is being a nightmare for me. Any tips welcome...

Many thanks,

Vitto

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:01 pm
HI Vitto,

The 5 answer choices to DS questions are always the same 5 answers (and in that order). While the wording of the 5 answers might appear to be complex, each defines a specific set of results. Once you've done more practice and you're comfortable with the logic behind each of the 5 choices, then selecting the proper one will be a bit easier.

If you're referring to the explanations behind each of the DS questions in the OG, then it's worth noting that sometimes the "math" approach to solving a problem can be quite complicated. DS questions offer a certain degree of flexibility to the Test Taker though; sometimes the easiest way to correctly solve a DS question is to prove that a pattern exists in the data (by TESTing Values or knowing Number Properties, for example).

Keep practicing though and make sure that you take lots of notes when you do your work. This will help you to hone your skills before Test Day.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:80 members
GMAT Score:760

by sanju09 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:41 pm
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:19 pm
vittovangind wrote:
In reality, i'm doing not too bad on PS but DS is being a nightmare for me. Any tips welcome...
Please know that everyone struggles with Data Sufficiency (DS) questions at first. This question type is totally unique to the GMAT, so it's foreign territory.

If you're looking for some extra DS resources, we have a free set of videos that cover everything you need to know: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com