Frustrated with GMAT and admission procedure.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Frustrated with GMAT and admission procedure.

by res123 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:08 pm
Hello All,
I have been browsing these sites for quite some time. I am at a stage in my life where academically, I am overwhelmed and bit frustrated. I have a very impressive resume, I took the non-traditional route of dropping out of college and opened a mortgage banking firm, which paid out very very well. Finally, I sold the company and now I am aggressively finishing up college, from a medicore school. I have 9 years of senior management experience in financial sector. My problem is that I have always been an average student, and I do well with hands-on stuff.
I feel that I almost do not want to take GMAT, not to mention that last standardized test I took was in 1996 and it has been discouraging studying for GMAT. I had hoped that given my experience and outstanding reference letters, I would have gotten admitted in a European business school. I am sure I can find ones that do not require MBA, but is it really worth getting a MBA from a medicore school? After all, it is a huge investment, as schools are not cheap anymore. Is it worth doing an MBA from a mediocre school or getting a degree, let's say in Finance or any other graduate degree from a Top notch school, that is, if they do not require a GMAT.
Yes, it sounds pathetic, but I think it is better to acknowledge one's shortcomings and find alternatives and I am simply doing this because I do not see myself doing well in GMAT given my professional obligations and the effort that is required to really do well. Basically, my enthusiasm of applying to let's say London Business School or Oxford is down the drain and now I am thinking, is it better to go to these or other top tier schools in an alternative degree which may have more relaxed requirements. On another note, there are some good business schools that are offering part time MBA and on part time basis they do not require a GMAT. I am looking for an outsider’s opinion, as to what is a good course of action.

BTW- Should be able to have an undergrad in Business with 3.5GPA