from jeff sackmann total gmat math

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

from jeff sackmann total gmat math

by sana.noor » Tue May 14, 2013 7:07 am
If xy is not equal to 0, is (1/x + 1/y) = 2?
(1) x = y
(2) x + y = 2xy

OA is B but i guess statement one is also sufficient. How? by putting the value of y as x we will get 1/x +1/x = 2 = 2/x = 2 and solving this we will get x = 1. thus if x and y are equal than 1 + 1 is equal to 2.
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Tue May 14, 2013 7:15 am
You have shown that the answer to the question could be 'yes' according to (1). But what if x=y=2 ?
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue May 14, 2013 7:21 am
sana.noor wrote:If xy is not equal to 0, is (1/x + 1/y) = 2?
(1) x = y
(2) x + y = 2xy
Target question: Is (1/x + 1/y) = 2?

This looks like a great candidate for rephrasing the target question. For more info about rephrasing the target question, you can refer to our free video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... cy?id=1100

Let's rewrite the equation (1/x + 1/y) = 2
Rewrite terms with common denominator: y/xy + x/xy = 2
Combine: (x + y)/xy = 2
Multiply both sides by xy: x + y = 2xy

Since the equation (1/x + 1/y) = 2 is the same as x + y = 2xy, we can rephrase the target question . . .

Rephrased target question: Is x + y = 2xy?

Statement 1: x = y
Is this enough information to determine whether x + y = 2xy?
Let's take the target question and replace y with x to get: Is x + x = 2x(x)?
Simplify: Is 2x = 2x^2?
Divide by 2x: Is 1 = x?
Well, x could equal 1, or it could equal something else.
Since we cannot answer the rephrased target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: x + y = 2xy
Perfect, this answers our rephrased target question perfectly.
So, statement 2 is SUFFICIENT

Answer = B

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by fcabanski » Tue May 14, 2013 11:31 am
If xy is not equal to 0, is (1/x + 1/y) = 2?
(1) x = y
(2) x + y = 2xy

There are three keys to data sufficiency.

Don't assume anything beyond the confines of the given info and the given statements. For example, the statement x>3 means x is greater than 3. It doesn't mean x is an integer, or x is 5, or x isn't an irrational number.

Evaluate the statements separately. Don't look at statement 2 before evaluating statement 1. Don't think about statement 1 when evaluating statement 2.

Eliminate answer choices based on evaluations. For example, if statement 1 isn't sufficient, instantly eliminate A and D.

The given info is that neither x nor y are equal to 0. If one of them is 0, or both of them are 0, then xy=0.

1. x=y tells us that they are equal. It doesn't tell us their values. That isn't sufficient to determine if (1/x + 1/y) = 2. x and y could be 1, or they could be 2, or they could be 1/2, or they could be... Eliminate A and D.

2. x + y = 2xy: Try some numbers. If x=1 and y=1 then x+y = 2 = 2(1)(1). 1/1 + 1/1 = 2. If x=1 and y=2 then x+y = 3 which does not equal 2(1)(2) = 4. You won't find any other combination of x and y (1/x + 1/y = 2)that makes x+y = 2xy . Statement 2 is sufficient. B is the answer.

That idea of rephrasing target questions is a good one. It works out perfectly for this question.
Last edited by fcabanski on Wed May 15, 2013 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Expert GMAT tutor.
[email protected]

If you find one of my answers helpful, please click thank.

Contact me to discuss online GMAT tutoring.

Followed by:9 members

by Atekihcan » Wed May 15, 2013 12:49 am
fcabanski wrote:2. x + y = 2xy: Try some numbers. If x=1 and y=1 then x+y = 2 = 2(1)(1). 1/1 + 1/1 = 2. If x=1 and y=2 then x+y = 3 which does not equal 2(1)(2) = 4. You won't find any other combination of x and y that makes x+y = 2xy. Statement 2 is sufficient.
What about (x = 2 and y = 2/3), (x = 3 and y = 3/5), (x = 4 and y = 4/7) and many more?

If you are trying to say "You won't find any other combination of x and y for which x+y = 2xy but (1/x + 1/y) ≠ 2", then also the logic is flawed because you can prove insufficiency of a statement by showing a contradiction but you cannot prove sufficiency of a statement by not showing a contradiction as you never whether you have considered all possible use cases or not. To prove sufficiency we must have unquestionable evidence like facts (like countable examples) or mathematical logic.

An weak example will be...
Is x > 0?
1. x ≥ 0
2. x > 1
For statement 1, I cannot say that "I've checked for x = 0.1, x = 1, x = 2, ..., x = 100 till x = 10,000 and I haven't found any contradiction, so statement 1 must be sufficient" as I'm not considering the possibility that x may be equal to zero.

It is true that this is not a good example as the contradiction is in front of our eyes but you get the point what I'm trying to make. I can come up with a better example also (In fact, I've one ready but that problem is not relevant to GMAT.)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed May 15, 2013 6:41 am
sana.noor wrote:If xy is not equal to 0, is (1/x + 1/y) = 2?
(1) x = y
(2) x + y = 2xy
An alternate approach that does not require rephrasing of the question stem:

Statement 1: x=y
If x=y=1, then 1/x + 1/y = 1+1 = 2.
If x=y=2, then 1/x + 1/y = 1/2 + 1/2 = 1.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: x + y = 2xy
Plug different values for x into x + y = 2xy and solve for y.

If x=1, we get:
1 + y = 2*1*y
y = 1.
In this case, 1/x + 1/y = 1/1 + 1/1 = 2.

If x=2, we get:
2 + y = 2*2*y
2 = 3y
y = 2/3.
In this case, 1/x + 1/y = 1/2 + 3/2 = 2.

Since 1/x + 1/y = 2 in both cases, we should be pretty convinced that statement 2 is sufficient to answer the question stem.
To be safe, one more case:
If x=-2, we get:
-2 + y = 2(-2)y
-2 = -5y
y = 2/5.
In this case, 1/x + 1/y = -1/2 + 5/2 = 2.

Since 1/x + 1/y = 2 in every case, SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by fcabanski » Wed May 15, 2013 10:15 am
Thanks Jeff for pointing out the mistake. I forgot to include "when 1/x + 1/y = 2".

As for the second issue:

"To prove sufficiency we must have unquestionable evidence like facts (like countable examples) or mathematical logic."

The Data Sufficiency section is not about proving sufficiency. It's about selecting the correct answer. If you select the correct answer but don't prove your reasoning, you still get the credit for a correct answer. Examining values for x and y, and examining trends, is good enough for proving, to the test taker, that statement 2 is sufficient.

I challenge you to find an exception for this problem (that shows statement 2 is not sufficient).

The best method is performing the algebra to see that 1/x + 1/y = 2 --> x + y = 2xy. That is unquestionable evidence. But someone had already posted that answer. I was providing an alternative to show that sometimes a test taker may not be able to perform the algebra (may not think of it), but he can still choose the correct answer.
Expert GMAT tutor.
[email protected]

Followed by:9 members

by Atekihcan » Wed May 15, 2013 11:51 am
fcabanski wrote:The Data Sufficiency section is not about proving sufficiency. It's about selecting the correct answer. If you select the correct answer but don't prove your reasoning, you still get the credit for a correct answer. Examining values for x and y, and examining trends, is good enough for proving, to the test taker, that statement 2 is sufficient.

I challenge you to find an exception for this problem (that shows statement 2 is not sufficient).
May be it was not clear from my previous post but I was trying to make a general point about DS problems not specific to this problem. And I never said that you have to show the proof of sufficiency to someone! I was trying to say that by not finding an exception you can never be 100% sure that a statement is sufficient (not only for this problem). Only by identifying a trend for some examples without any logical basis we cannot claim a statement always holds because it may very well be that there is an exception to the trend which we didn't consider.

In some cases (like this) we can get lucky and identify the correct answer but if students are taught this method of marking a statement sufficient by not finding an exception, they may not be always so lucky.

Also I've tried to provide an example of how people can make the mistake.
If that was not sufficient, here is another...
If p is a positive integer, is 2^p - 1 prime?
1. p < 5
2. p is prime
For statement 1, if p = 1, (2^p - 1) = 1 is not prime
And if p = 2, (2^p - 1) = 3 is a prime
So, statement 1 is not sufficient as we have found a contradiction.

[Now if a student is taught to mark a statement sufficient by not finding an exception, he/she will approach as follows...]
For statement 2, let's check some values for p,
for p = 2, (2^2 - 1) = 4 - 1 = 3 is a prime
for p = 3, (2^3 - 1) = 8 - 1 = 7 is a prime
for p = 5, (2^5 - 1) = 32 - 1 = 31 is a prime
for p = 7, (2^7 - 1) = 128 - 1 = 127 is a prime
Looks like there is a trend. So 2^p - 1 is always prime.
So, statement 2 is sufficient as we have not found a contradiction.

But in this case that logic fails!
Because for p = 11, 2^p - 1 = 2048 - 1 = 2047 = 23*89 is not prime.
So, actually statement 2 is not sufficient.

I hope now I'm being clear about the point I'm trying to make.

by fcabanski » Wed May 15, 2013 12:15 pm
Your point is clear. But it's not valid. I never suggested test takers should try to prove sufficiency by excluding one or a few values.

"Only by identifying a trend for some examples without any logical basis we cannot claim a statement always holds because it may very well be that there is an exception to the trend which we didn't consider." I agree. That's why the algebraic answer is best. But that answer was already given. I gave an answer for "what if you didn't think of the algebra". It's not perfect or 100% accurate in all cases. But if the test taker is careful, it is accurate.
Expert GMAT tutor.
[email protected]