From 590 (q 41, v 31) to 710 ( q 49, v 38)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear All,

I would just like to thank this forum and give a small word of advise, to the people who have not beat the Gmat yet....

Here is my story ( short version)

The first time I did the Gmat, I scored 590 (q 41, v 31) and I was devastated. I had been scoring 650 & 680 the weak before.

I decided to take some time to think what I did wrong.... I realized I had to start Gmat from scratch.

As I'm an engineer, Quant was not really a problem, so I decided to focus on Verbal, especially SC

I bought -

1. Manhattan SC guide
2. OG Verbal.

I took me 3 months to go through these 2 books THOROUGHLY, that is (doing ALL the exercises and understating all my mistakes)

Once I was confident with SC I started with CR.

I divided these questions into 8 types (I'm sure you can find more) but I thought that these were the most repeated.

1. Assumption
2. Weaken/Strengthen
3. Inference
4. Boldface
5. Complete the argument
6. Apparent discrepancy
7. EXCEPT
8. Argument depends on...

Then I simply did 50 questions of each... and developed a small methodology.
Simply ask your self - what??? (Conclusion) & why???? (Premise)..... AND REVISE ALL YOUR MISTAKES!!!!!

I was now confident with SC , CR.

For RC , I simply had to time my self. For me what worked best was to read slow and answer fast.

I did not want to post a complete study guide, but give you a bit of hope....

and quoting this forum - " people never fail... they just give up "

ALL THE BEST
Marcos

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by akondakar » Mon May 24, 2010 6:41 am
Thank you for your debrief, very inspiring, because my target score is 710. Good luck for your MBA application.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by nikhilkatira » Mon May 24, 2010 10:53 am
MarcosSalama wrote:Dear All,

I would just like to thank this forum and give a small word of advise, to the people who have not beat the Gmat yet....

Here is my story ( short version)

The first time I did the Gmat, I scored 590 (q 41, v 31) and I was devastated. I had been scoring 650 & 680 the weak before.

I decided to take some time to think what I did wrong.... I realized I had to start Gmat from scratch.

As I'm an engineer, Quant was not really a problem, so I decided to focus on Verbal, especially SC

I bought -

1. Manhattan SC guide
2. OG Verbal.

I took me 3 months to go through these 2 books THOROUGHLY, that is (doing ALL the exercises and understating all my mistakes)

Once I was confident with SC I started with CR.

I divided these questions into 8 types (I'm sure you can find more) but I thought that these were the most repeated.

1. Assumption
2. Weaken/Strengthen
3. Inference
4. Boldface
5. Complete the argument
6. Apparent discrepancy
7. EXCEPT
8. Argument depends on...

Then I simply did 50 questions of each... and developed a small methodology.
Simply ask your self - what??? (Conclusion) & why???? (Premise)..... AND REVISE ALL YOUR MISTAKES!!!!!

I was now confident with SC , CR.

For RC , I simply had to time my self. For me what worked best was to read slow and answer fast.

I did not want to post a complete study guide, but give you a bit of hope....

and quoting this forum - " people never fail... they just give up "

ALL THE BEST
Marcos
great score buddy.....hard work always pays off..

Can you pls share which mock cats u gave before ur 2nd attempt and what were your scores in those mocks ?
Best,
Nikhil H. Katira

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nifoui7 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:22 pm
Congrats on your score! I'm glad to hear about your success and story with the GMAT, I got a devastating 570 a month ago while my target is 710, your story gives me hope that it is possible to reach this target :)
Nifoui
Wanna Get 710 :S