From 570 to 550 to 700!! i am done!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

From 570 to 550 to 700!! i am done!

by Umar82 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:41 am
Just beat the GMAT . . . 700 (90th percentile). Thanks to everyone for their help!!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Beat-D-GMAT » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:51 pm
Congratulations ...So going for party????

Enjoy:):)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by crazy4gmat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:12 am
congrats..could you brief what you did differently this time around?

Followed by:4 members

by sakurle » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:27 pm
Congratulations !! I am in similar boat -> 560 -> 590 need to really nail that 700 barrier.

Just felt beaten last week looking at that 590, any tips will be appreciated. In fact got 640 in the GPrep 1 and 700 in GPrep 2, so was really disappointed with 590 in the real thing. If you can give me what you did different it will be really helpful. Thanks and enjoy the party :)

Followed by:4 members

by sakurle » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:31 pm
For some reason the earlier post appeared twice. Moderators can delete this, as I am unable to do so.
Last edited by sakurle on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Rachem » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:46 am
Wow that's some improvement Umar! I'm hoping to make that leap myself. Can you please share your study plan for that last winning round?

And of course big congratz! :P
Rachel

by Umar82 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:54 pm
Hey guys!

Thanks for the nice comments and sorry for the delayed response . . . I've been sleeping and resting a lot since the exam!

Ok so this is what I did to get to the "700" level . . . My biggest weakness was my verbal. My quant was usually in the 80th and upper 70th percentile. Since I have a strong finance and banking background, I realized that I can get away with a 70th ish percentile in the quant section, as my background in finance will make up for the committees any doubt regarding my math ability.

The Verbal was a different story!

I first took the GMAT back in November 2008, and made a 570. My quantative was 78 percentile but my verbal was shockingly low (33 percentile!!). My AWA was a 6!!My biggest mistake was that I didn't really take the verbal too seriously in terms of studying (I'm from UK so I guess I was too over confident). The materials I used were OG 11, the GMAT Prep Software and a "Kaplan Advanced GMAT Course" (Do not recommend Kaplan - complete waste of money)

So I rescheduled my test for March 2009, and I used the OG 11 and the purple verbal book to prepare for the Verbal section. I also started reading "tougher" and more "complicated" articles online to get used to reading topics that I am not used to. Overall I felt that my verbal was better . . . BUT to my shock, when I took the test the 2nd time around, my quant was the same, but my verbal was even lower!!! I ended up with a 550!! And AWA was a 6 again!!!

It was after my 2nd test that I realized three very important things: (1) Never try to analyze your performance on the test; (2) in order to beat the GMAT, you need stamina; and (3) Only way to improve math or verbal is to MASTER THE CONTENT!!!

This is where my will, drive and determination really kicked in. To do well on the verbal section - go back to the basics! Learn everything there is to know about idioms, pronouns etc. I bought the ManhattanGMAT Sentence Correction (best book ever) and I studied it religously. I took notes and every morning I reviewed them, no matter what. To prepare for the Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning I used the 10 Official LSAT exams (green/blue cover book). Studying the LSAT material made the biggest difference in my verbal performance. Trust me if you can read LSAT reading comprehension and Critical Reasoning (logical reasoning) and actually understand the argument and answer right 70% of the time . . . your verbal on the GMAT rise drastically! I studied for 5 months and focussed mostly on the verbal section (even on a bad day, I could still hit a 75% percentile on the quant). Also I studied for 2-3 hours straight in order to build stamina and consistency.

Come test day, I didn't spend to much time on the AWA (with two '6s' in the past, I think I made my point that I have good writing skills). The quant section seemed much difficult in comparison to the previous tests, and the questions were similar to the OG but the wording was very different. I guess the GMAT is looking to ask similar questions but in different ways. Overall I felt confident about the quant, but I felt my performance was not my best. Then came the Verbal Section, my biggest rival! Luckily all the hard work paid off. I wasn't analyzing my performance, I just took one question at a time and gave it my best. The reading passages were long but very very easy in comparison to the LSAT, critical reasoning was simple (I had one boldface question - no biggie) and sentence correction was a piece of cake (thanks to the ManhattanGMAT).

Final score, 700 (90th Percentile) , Quant (74th Percentile, Verbal (92nd Percentile)!!!

Perhaps my quant could have been better, but regardless . . I beat the GMAT!

Never give up!!!! Trust me, my verbal went from pathetic to Great in matter of few months. Master the skills in sentence correction and study using the LSAT materials.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

by crackgmat007 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:07 pm
Congrats!! Great improvement.

I am sailing in the same boat. Right now working on my next attempt.

I exhausted all of my GMAT verbal resources. I saw in your post that you studied LSAT material. I am very much inclined to buy LSAT material, but confused as to which book to buy. I tried searching with '10 Official LSAT exams (green/blue cover)', but see that there are several books. Can you help me with the link (tx much)? Also, can you let me know if explanations were included in these books?

Tx for clarifying.

Followed by:1 members

by tngearhart » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:08 am
if you don't mind what were your raw scores on the Quant and Verbal? For your most recent test and the past ones if you have them?

Thanks!

by LifetimesofSC » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:27 pm
''(Do not recommend Kaplan - complete waste of money)''

No matter what your score is, 500 or 700, all students enrolled in a Kaplan GMAT program know it is a complete fraud upon completion of the course.

Thanks and good job. Kap reps tend to delete unfavorable posts regarding their service.

by p2dski » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:13 pm
Great job Umar!

You put in a lot of time and effort, you deserve it! :D
"Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success." -Napoleon Hill

by ajaypatil_am » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:03 am
Hi Umar82,

https://www.amazon.com/10-Actual-Officia ... 216&sr=8-1

Are you refering to this one ?
Anyone knows if I can get this book in India ?

Thanks,
Ajay
Umar82 wrote: To prepare for the Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning I used the 10 Official LSAT exams (green/blue cover book). Studying the LSAT material made the biggest difference in my verbal performance. Trust me if you can read LSAT reading comprehension and Critical Reasoning (logical reasoning) and actually understand the argument and answer right 70% of the time . . . your verbal on the GMAT rise drastically!