frank lloyd wright

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

frank lloyd wright

by mberkowitz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:44 pm
Though Frank Lloyd Wright is best remembered today because of bold designs like the Guggenheim Museum in New York City, most of his buildings were intended to blend into their surroundings.

a) because of bold designs like the Guggenheim Museum
b) for bold designs such as the one for the Guggenheim Museum
c) because of bold designs such as the Guggenheim Museum
d) because of bold designs such as that for the Guggenheim Museum
e) for bold designs like the Guggenheim Museum's

[spoiler][/spoiler]oa is b. however i disagree. by changing 'like' to 'such as', isn't that violating the original meaning of the sentence? for this reason i think e is a better choice. thoughts?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by acecoolan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:26 pm
In GMAT english, 'Like' is interpreted as 'Similar to' and 'Such as' is used for taking an example

So if FLW has actually designed the Museum, 'such as' would convey the right meaning. 'Like' would mean ...that he may not have designed this building but something similar to the museum.

The other reason why I went for 'B' is that 'remembered for' is more idiomatic.

Maybe someone can explain this better.

by mberkowitz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:29 pm
I'm not denying that the distinction btween like and such as exists, but rather stating that to change the words is to change the meaning of the sentence. Therefor, I don't see how that answer choice can be correct (as it changes the fundamental meaning of the sentence: maybe it was the authors intention to convey that meaning).

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:680

by rohangupta83 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:36 pm
the most important thing in SC is to make sure that the grammar is correct.

Meaning is secondary.

If a sentence conveys the meaning intended in the original sentence but is grammatically wrong, in GMAC SC it is wrong.

However, a sentence which changes the meaning but is grammatically correct is correct in SC terms as long as there isn't another sentence (grammatically correct and) that conveys the meaning intended in the original sentence.

by mberkowitz » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:49 pm
i dont mean to belabor the point, but do you honestly believe one can make the assumption that the author did not intend on the original meaning? because i believe the use of 'such as' in the original sentence can be gramatically correct (if that was the authors intended meaning).

clearly we dont need to continue on this point, i just feel this OA is arbitrary

Legendary Member

by raunekk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:12 pm
Meaning is secondary

i dont agree on this one,,,,

Meaning is equally important as grammar,,,,

imo:B

"such as" is used to introduce examples...

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:08 am
IMO B

b) for bold designs such as the one for the Guggenheim Museum < - Correct usage of Such as

e) for bold designs like the Guggenheim Museum's < - Incorrect as like Guggenheim Museum's is not the right usage.. It should be like that of Guggenheim Museum's...

Legendary Member

by vivek.kapoor83 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:29 am
imo B