Forget about it

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies

Your opinion:

Agree
72%
Disagree
21%
Don't care
7%

Total votes: 29

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Forget about it

by SalamiPBRG » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:28 am
Ok this is going to far. I did not create this posts to be insulted. If some people felt offended with this post I am sorry. I got the feeling of the guy pointing something but the other one look at his finger.

Honestly it was just a random post. I regret posting it now. That s why I deleted it now.
I just wanted to have some fun and tickle a small part of BTG population. Actually, I even agree with your argument of very competitive people who can be disappointed since I believe that the GMAT if taken seriously can be considered as a real achievement one can be proud of. I just don't want deal with this unnecessary aggressivity.

My post was not appropriate I created a debate I don't really believe in. I mean if I had to fight for something I can easily find better causes.

I think people energy should be spend on the gmat not on this kind of posts. Useless discussions. Mea Culpa

cheers
Last edited by SalamiPBRG on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:750

by zuleron » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:03 am
I can understand if someone is dissapointed with a 730 if thier breakdown was 46Q /51V and they need a 48 in quant.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by modesto2 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:02 pm
Agree! I really don't care if you're disappointed with a 730. If you take the time to share your story, how about you share your story and not your negative emotions associated with your performance? After all, people don't care about how bad you feel after a 730. They care about your preparation for a 730. They want to learn about your study techniques. They don't want to learn about your disappointment. If you're happy, then let's hear about it! If you're disappointed, just share the facts without emotional commentary. Thanks :)

by riteshbindal » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:09 pm
Got to know a new rule on this forum. You can show happiness here but if you are sad, you can't show it... :lol:
I think this is a stage where everyone can write off their experience, be it good or bad. It is very well understood that some people are happy with the score and some are not. And both of them have equal rights to show their emotions in their posts. It is good to share strategy but it is equally good to ask for suggestions in case of low quant score or any other case for that matter.
If someone doesn't care to read that post, he just shouldn't read it, there are still some people who care to read those posts, give suggestions and console the person who is not happy with his score.

Followed by:1 members
Well I agree with you salami. But I also don't criticize because I think it is a matter of confidence, hardwork, preparation which one has done, where one feels that he/she could have achived 750 or 770 but he/she only got 730! I rather see it like a self-expectation.

by JeffB » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:48 pm
ahh - look at the post counts of most of these idiots that post with 700+ scores....usually about 0 to maybe 1 post.

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:22 am
JeffB wrote:ahh - look at the post counts of most of these idiots that post with 700+ scores....usually about 0 to maybe 1 post.
Very well said Jeff. I raised this issue several time that the less than 50 posts people shoudn't be allowed to post success stories, but beatthegmat is more interested in them only. Beatthegmat seems to be an astute businessman who has nothing to think about long term associations. He just need to show 70000 members, 1000000 downloaded his flash card and cramps like that. Why he should worry whether 250 or 25 are active members, so whoever comes open an account, increase the count, write something like I am indebted to beatthegmat is great business tool for beatthegmat, he will always promote such things.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:49 am
I was curious so I took a look at all of the 700+ posts on the first page. Here are the stats for the posts:

Median - 3.5 posts
Average - 17.2 posts
Middle 50% 2 to 22 posts

So yes, I agree that there are a disproportionate number of low post members posting 700+ scores. That said, I disagree with you that beatthegmat is not worried about long term associations and only cares about people posting that they are indebted to beatthegmat. I believe this community relies on the loyal members. Without an active member base, there wouldn't be a collaborative environment to encourage success in both the GMAT and MBA applications.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by Turnpike » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:33 am
I don't agree that BTG is being selfish. I can see that it has been trying to provide equal opportunities to all members on the forums. However, some members may not be very pleased with a score lower than their practice scores, and that shows in their postings.

And I don't agree that posts in the 'I Just Beat the GMAT' is all about sharing one's excitement and happiness. I see it as a place where a person recounts his/her experiences, lessons learned, and encourages others to work that little bit more harder. And that requires a lot of soul searching, not just first reactions.

Perhaps future GMAT-beaters would want to reflect more deeply into their experiences before posting a success/failure story.
"Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working."

by SalamiPBRG » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:00 am
Let me precise my thoughts

I do agree that people can express their good and bad experiences
Both are valuable pieces of informations

What I do not really support is more when people are complaining without really bringing real added value but just to show off. I found that just a bit annoying.
It's not a big deal I agree but i thing we can live easily without it.

:wink:

GMAT Score:760
SalamiPBRG wrote:Can we please stop the "730 so disappointed!" kind of posts

I do understand that some want to reach the higher scores...
But please guys there are a lot of people struggling to get a decent score
I don't know...I feel like sometimes...some posts my lack a bit of modesty..
I really do believe that this forum is a place were each one find some motivation to continue the hard work...people clearly want to see success stories to believe that they also have a chance...but this kind of post....?
I don't think I've seen a thread here yet that implies personal devastation at the hands of a 730 score... I understand what you mean nonetheless and can empathize. At the same time however, we're all business-oriented people who wish to "make it" one day in the cut and thrust of business.

In finance, the streets run amuck with personalities that sell themselves, always strive for glory and ignore modesty to the wayside... Observers can either become demotivated or work harder. Maybe it is my personality - who knows? - but people bragging about their 700+ scores inspire me to work harder. I can't change the world just yet. The only thing I have total control over is myself so I'll do the best to either improve my skills or lower my expectations. If someone is whinning about their 730 and it is fazing you out, the blame goes both ways. That person is obviously lacking modesty and class... But, at the same time, the person who is getting demoralized is also lacking the resilience and character to persevere. What kind of person gets fazed out by things like that? It should only motivate us to work harder. If a person can't handle the pressure of overly-ambitious and aggressive overachievers, then he/she should not be trying to carve out a career in the business world.

My two cents.

by SalamiPBRG » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:27 pm
brandonsun

I get your point. I agreed. Actually i am done with a gmat. I am happy with my score. And I don't really have a problem with the competition. Actually i don t really care.
My point was simply that it annoyed me. An I am apparently not the only one but I felt the need to express it. that's all

Followed by:1 members

by vivecan2005 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:05 pm
JeffB wrote:ahh - look at the post counts of most of these idiots that post with 700+ scores....usually about 0 to maybe 1 post.
What you are trying to establish with the number of scores (be it 700 or 710) and Number of Posts. As far as Target score is concerned, What is wrong if one aims for 770 or 750 or 800?

This thread is actually started by a stupid who has problem with this fact that certain people feel disappointed if they score 730. Which makes sense because If one has great expectation and preparation then why not he/she should feel dissappointed on 730 score if they scored 770 or 790 during practice tests?

GMAT Score:760

by brandonsun » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:07 pm
SalamiPBRG wrote:brandonsun

I get your point. I agreed. Actually i am done with a gmat. I am happy with my score. And I don't really have a problem with the competition. Actually i don t really care.
My point was simply that it annoyed me. An I am apparently not the only one but I felt the need to express it. that's all
Thanks SalamiPBRG!

I just re-read my post and it came off as being really intense. Please don't take any offense as I was not directing any criticism against you.

I also HATE people who complain when they do anything so well yet complain. It is condescending because it is an way to inflate one's ego and insult the hardwork and passion of others who sweat, bled and toiled for a 730+.

Nevertheless, I am extremely competitive. If someone tries to lead the dance, I'll make sure two can play that game. I usually channel all the irritation I encounter to inspire me to work harder than ever to "show up" those people. I was pretty upset at first, before I took my test, that people were complaining so often with 700+ scores. Instead of freaking me out, it inspired me to work harder and say to myself, "hey, I guess 700 isn't good enough anymore, let's aim for a 750."

At the same time, I do somewhat sympathize with those people too though. They were people who devoted a lot of their effort and committed their time (while sacrificing a lot of other things) to strive for a higher score. To win without risk is to triumph without glory - I'm sure they laid a lot on the line to fight for their goal. When everyone is studying a few hours a day, investing so much in study materials and dedicating four months of their lives, it challenges the core of one's beliefs to not reach their goals... So in some ways, I almost feel sorry for them.

by SalamiPBRG » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:53 pm
"This thread is actually started by a stupid who has problem with this fact that certain people feel disappointed if they score 730."

Relax men ! Ok this is going to far. I did not create this posts to be insulted. If some people felt offended with this post I am sorry. I got the feeling of the guy pointing something but the other one look at his finger.

Honestly it was just a random post. I regret posting it now.
I just wanted to have some fun and tickle a small part of BTG population. Actually, I even agree with your argument of very competitive people who can be disappointed since I believe that the GMAT if taken seriously can be considered as a real achievement one can be proud of. I just don't want deal with this unnecessary aggressivity.

My post was not appropriate I created a debate I don't really believe in. I mean if I had to fight for something I can easily find better causes.

I think people energy should be spend on the gmat not on this kind of posts. Useless discussions. Mea Culpa

cheers