00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

For similar cars and drivers, automobile insurance for collision damage has always cost more in Greatport than in Fairmont. Police studies, however, show that cars owned by Greatport residents are, on average, slightly less likely to be involved in a collision than cars in Fairmont. Clearly, therefore, insurance companies are making a greater profit on collision-damage insurance in Greatport than in Fairmont.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Repairing typical collision damage does not cost more in Greatport than in Fairmont.
B. There are no more motorists in Greatport than in Fairmont.
C. Greatport residents who have been in a collision are more likely to report it to their insurance company than Fairmont residents are.
D. Fairmont and Greatport are the cities with the highest collision-damage insurance rates.
E. The insurance companies were already aware of the difference in the likelihood of collisions before the publication of the police reports.

OA is A

Please expain

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by acecoolan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:08 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Conclusion
Clearly, therefore, insurance companies are making a greater profit on collision-damage insurance in Greatport than in Fairmont.

A. Repairing typical collision damage does not cost more in Greatport than in Fairmont. Consider
B. There are no more motorists in Greatport than in Fairmont. Consider
C. Greatport residents who have been in a collision are more likely to report it to their insurance company than Fairmont residents are. In fact this might weaken the conclusion
D. Fairmont and Greatport are the cities with the highest collision-damage insurance rates. Irrelevant
E. The insurance companies were already aware of the difference in the likelihood of collisions before the publication of the police reports. Irrelevant

Out of A and B, only A has a direct bearing on the Cost factor. Hence I would chose A

Followed by:1 members

by Bidisha800 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:57 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

(A)
Drill baby drill !

GMATPowerPrep Test1= 740
GMATPowerPrep Test2= 760
Kaplan Diagnostic Test= 700
Kaplan Test1=600
Kalplan Test2=670
Kalplan Test3=570

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

acecoolan wrote:Conclusion
Clearly, therefore, insurance companies are making a greater profit on collision-damage insurance in Greatport than in Fairmont.

A. Repairing typical collision damage does not cost more in Greatport than in Fairmont. Consider
B. There are no more motorists in Greatport than in Fairmont. Consider
C. Greatport residents who have been in a collision are more likely to report it to their insurance company than Fairmont residents are. In fact this might weaken the conclusion
D. Fairmont and Greatport are the cities with the highest collision-damage insurance rates. Irrelevant
E. The insurance companies were already aware of the difference in the likelihood of collisions before the publication of the police reports. Irrelevant

Out of A and B, only A has a direct bearing on the Cost factor. Hence I would chose A
Thanks for the analysis of each options man. Unlike many forum litterbugs, you are here to contribute. I appreciate that.
Attachments
LitterBug.jpg
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by shargaur » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A. Repairing typical collision damage does not cost more in Greatport than in Fairmont. If collision damage cost more then insurance companies are not earning profits
B. There are no more motorists in Greatport than in Fairmont. Irrelevant
C. Greatport residents who have been in a collision are more likely to report it to their insurance company than Fairmont residents are. Irrelevant

by nonameee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:28 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

The reason I dismissed (A) was that I didn't like its wording, namely 'typical collision damage'. What if typical collision damage costs more in Greatport than in Fairmont, but in Greatport there are no typical collisions (i.e., all the damages are extraordinary)? Negating (A) thus doesn't weaken the argument.

Similarly, what if typical collision costs are greater in G than in F, but there is just one typical collision, and all other collisions are extraordinary with high damage costs?

Could someone please explain this objection?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:00 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

For similar cars and drivers, automobile insurance for collision damage has always cost more in Greatport than in Fairmont. Police studies, however, show that cars owned by Greatport residents are, on average, slightly less likely to be involved in a collision than cars in Fairmont. Clearly, therefore, insurance companies are making a greater profit on collision-damage insurance in Greatport than in Fairmont.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Repairing typical collision damage does not cost more in Greatport than in Fairmont.
B. There are no more motorists in Greatport than in Fairmont.
C. Greatport residents who have been in a collision are more likely to report it to their insurance company than Fairmont residents are.
D. Fairmont and Greatport are the cities with the highest collision-damage insurance rates.
E. The insurance companies were already aware of the difference in the likelihood of collisions before the publication of the police reports.
This CR exhibits a LANGUAGE SHIFT.
The premise is about X: Auto insurance COSTS MORE in Greatport, where the residents are SLIGHTLY LESS LIKELY to be involved in a collision.
The conclusion is about Y: Insurance companies are making a greater PROFIT on collision-damage insurance in Greatport.
The assumption is that there is nothing to BREAK THE LINK between X and Y: that there are no OTHER COSTS that might affect profits in Greatport.

Answer A:
It must be true that repairing typical collision damage DOES NOT COST MORE in Greatport than in Fairmont.
Correct. If this answer choice is negated -- if repairing typical collision damage costs MORE in Greatport -- then the conclusion that insurance companies in Greatport are making a greater profit is invalid.

The correct answer is A.
nonameee wrote:The reason I dismissed (A) was that I didn't like its wording, namely 'typical collision damage'. What if typical collision damage costs more in Greatport than in Fairmont, but in Greatport there are no typical collisions (i.e., all the damages are extraordinary)? Negating (A) thus doesn't weaken the argument.

Similarly, what if typical collision costs are greater in G than in F, but there is just one typical collision, and all other collisions are extraordinary with high damage costs?

Could someone please explain this objection?
Just one + typical is an oxymoron: a contradiction in terms. If there is JUST ONE of a certain type of collision, then this sort of collision is -- by definition -- not typical but RARE.
If MOST collisions are extraordinary, then EXTRAORDINARY collisions are TYPICAL.

Thus, if TYPICAL damage in Greatport is EXTRAORDINARY, it still must be true that TYPICAL collision damage in Greatport does not cost more.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by nonameee » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Just one + typical is an oxymoron: a contradiction in terms. If there is JUST ONE of a certain type of collision, then this sort of collision is -- by definition -- not typical but RARE.
If MOST collisions are extraordinary, then EXTRAORDINARY collisions are TYPICAL.

Thus, if TYPICAL damage in Greatport is EXTRAORDINARY, it still must be true that TYPICAL collision damage in Greatport does not cost more.
Yes, thank you very much. I got it. You are helpful as always.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by rishab0507 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:52 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

This is an assumption question and best theory for assumption ques is doing the negative test.
Insurance premiums are more in City X than City Y, and accidents are less in City X than Y. Thus insurance companies are making more money.
True is we think it, what we don't need too strengthen it, need to find an assumption why author thinks insurance companies are making more money.

1 reason can be if there no other cost which put city X on backfoot, and its in parallel to City Y, so ofcourse claijm stands. Now if we put NO in front of it, and say there is Other cost which CITY X has after accident, so insurance companies are not making money, They might be loosing it less than City Y.

Option A : Answer

A. Repairing typical collision damage does not cost more in Greatport than in Fairmont. : Bingo : This is what we are looking for
B. There are no more motorists in Greatport than in Fairmont. we are not considering particularly motorist or any other.
C. Greatport residents who have been in a collision are more likely to report it to their insurance company than Fairmont residents are. : Out of scope