For 700+ score , what should be accuracy in verbal

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Can somebody guide me as to what should be the accuracy % in SC if I want to score above 700 in GMAT.

In 1000 SC, I have completed about 450 questions and my accuracy level is coming as 70%i.e. out of every set of 20 questions, I get 14 right.

How should I increase the accuracy level and score. It is not that I am doing very silly mistakes.
let me give the power of perseverance.............

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Fri May 02, 2008 6:19 pm
Hi manasnanu,

It's tough to give you an idea of the percentage you need to get right, because not every question counts equally. To get a score in the 700s, you probably need to get practically all easy and medium level difficulty questions right, and a good portion of the difficult questions. Remember, the test is adaptive, which means that only when you get the easier questions correct do you get to the higher-scoring ones.

To try to improve your score, do (and study) more practice problems and try to get good at spotting the most common types of errors. Practice really does help!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800
manasnanu wrote:Can somebody guide me as to what should be the accuracy % in SC if I want to score above 700 in GMAT.

In 1000 SC, I have completed about 450 questions and my accuracy level is coming as 70%i.e. out of every set of 20 questions, I get 14 right.

How should I increase the accuracy level and score. It is not that I am doing very silly mistakes.
sources such as 1000sc are good for raw practice, but you should not use them to gauge your potential score: they aren't adaptive in any way, and (as far as i know) they don't give any indication of the difficulty of the questions.
(it would be great if the 1000sc pages actually had clickable answer choices, so that they could measure students' performance and have some sort of metric by which to assess 'difficulty', but they don't. it's always easy to think of work for other people to do...)

in any case, as the above poster has stated, raw percentages are not very meaningful on an adaptive test: if you are getting 70% of 300-400-level questions correct, then you will probably receive a very disappointing score; on the other hand, if you are consistently nailing seventy percent of the 700-800-level questions, you should be quite happy at test time.

--

the o.g. problems (11th edition) are ranked by rough order of difficulty. if you are getting 14 out of the LAST 20 questions in either the yellow o.g. or the purple verbal supplement, then you are most likely in pretty good shape.

in any case, it's a bad idea to obsess over scores while you're doing hundreds and hundreds of practice problems; that's not the purpose of doing practice problems.
forget all about scores while you work on things like 1000sc. instead, put all that energy into isolating the specific concepts that are giving you the most trouble, and fixing the associated mistakes. then, when you take an adaptive test (such as gmatprep, or the mgmat adaptive tests, or whatever else), then you can worry about overall scores.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron