00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Flor is choosing three of five colors of paint to use for her art project at school. Two of the colors, Green and Yellow, cannot both be selected. How many different ways can Flor choose the colors for her project?

A. 7
B. 9
C. 10
D. 13
E. 17

The OA is A

Source: Princeton Review

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:11 pm
swerve wrote:Flor is choosing three of five colors of paint to use for her art project at school. Two of the colors, Green and Yellow, cannot both be selected. How many different ways can Flor choose the colors for her project?

A. 7
B. 9
C. 10
D. 13
E. 17
Let the 5 colors be GYABC.
From the 5 colors, the number of ways to choose 3 = 5C3 = (5*4*3)/(3*2*1) = 10.
Of these 10 combinations, 3 are not allowed:
GYA
GYB
GYC
Subtracting these 3 bad combinations, we get:
10-3 = 7.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770
swerve wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:56 am
Flor is choosing three of five colors of paint to use for her art project at school. Two of the colors, Green and Yellow, cannot both be selected. How many different ways can Flor choose the colors for her project?

A. 7
B. 9
C. 10
D. 13
E. 17

The OA is A

Mitch's approach is the approach that I'd typically use. However, it's important to note that, when the answer choices are so small (as they are here), we should also consider the straightforward strategy of listing and counting

Let R, B, P, G and Y represent the colors Red, Blue, Purple, Green and Yellow respectively.

Now let's list the possible outcomes that meet all of the given conditions:
- RBP
- RBG
- RBY
- RPG
- RPY
- BPG
- BPY
Done!! So, there are 7 possible outcomes

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members
swerve wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:56 am

A. 7
B. 9
C. 10
D. 13
E. 17

The OA is A

Solution:

There are three cases: 1) green is one of the five colors chosen, but yellow isn’t, 2) yellow is one of the five colors chosen, but green isn’t, and 3) neither green nor yellow is chosen. Let’s analyze each case.

Case 1: Green is one of the five colors chosen, but yellow isn’t.

If green is chosen but yellow isn’t, then we have to choose 2 more colors from the 3 remaining colors. The number of ways to do that is 3C2 = 3.

Case 2: Yellow is one of the five colors chosen, but green isn’t.
This is analogous to case 1, so there are 3 ways for this case.

Case 3: Neither green nor yellow is chosen.

If neither color is chosen, then we have to choose 3 colors from the 3 remaining colors. The number of ways to do that is 3C3 = 1.

Thus, the total number of ways Flor can choose the colors for her project is 3 + 3 + 1 = 7.

Alternate Solution:

We can use the formula:

Number of ways where yellow and green are not both included = total number of ways to pick 3 colors - number of ways where yellow and green are both included
Since we are choosing 3 colors from 5 available colors, there are 5C3 = (5 x 4)/2 = 10 ways of doing this when there are no restrictions.

The number of ways in which yellow and green are both included can be found easily by observing that yellow and green occupy two of the three slots; any one of the remaining three colors can occupy the final slot. So, there are 3 ways to choose colors where yellow and green are both included.

Thus, the number of ways to pick colors where yellow and green are not included together is 10 - 3 = 7.

Answer: A

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage