First CAT Exam (Manhattan GMAT): 570

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

First CAT Exam (Manhattan GMAT): 570

by jbk » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:09 am
Hi All,

Today I took my first CAT exam and got an abysmal score of 570. (Q41, V28). The test was the first free CAT available from Manhattan GMAT. As advised on their website I only took the Quant and Verbal sections for this test.

Background:
I have been preparing for GMAT for last three months. In these three months I have gone through one iteration of the 8 Manhattan Strategy guides (4th Edition). I studied all of these guides back to back with the exception of the Number Properties guide, the FDP guide, and the Sentence Correction guide, which I studied around 7-8 months ago. Then I had a gap of 2-3 months before returning back to GMAT.I found these guides to extremely helpful with respect to improving conceptual clarity.

Looking Forward:
I have my GMAT exam scheduled in June and now I am wondering whether I can improve this score from 570 to 700+. Experts please reply if this 700+ target is realistic looking at my first score.

Test Analysis:
In the hindsight, before starting the test today, I had a feeling that I will score somewhere in the high 500s and my prediction came true. Part of this forecast was based on the fact that I had studied the Number properties, FDP and Sentence correction guides almost 7-8 months ago, and I knew that I had forgotten a lot of formulas and problem solving methods.

After the test I skimmed over the report generated by Manhattan and noticed that my worst performance areas were FDPs and Number properties. I am glad that at least I can predict what I know and what I don't know. During the test I had made several silly/careless mistakes that I had immediately realized after clicking "confirm"

ACTION PLAN:

Having gone through one iteration of the MGMAT guides, I now plan to subscribe to the Beat the Gmat 60 day guide and continue to prepare. Experts please let me know if my plan is good or any other recommendations that you may have.

Your kind support is much appreciated.

Thanks & Best Regards,
JBK

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:08 am
Hi jbk,
In order to predict your GMAT score, you need to take at least several simulation tests. You should not predict your score based on only one test.
My advice is to revise all the topics that you last looked at a few months ago and to start taking 1 test per week. After you take the test, you need to carefully analyze your mistakes and revise relevant lessons. Moreover, you can practice this question type by solving similar questions from the Official Guide. Apart from that, it would not be a bad idea to go through a theoretical course (using books, an on-line course or a traditional one) in order to revise all the important topics in a more thorough way.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by buzzdeepak » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:23 am
I was in a similar boat - scored 580 in the first Manhattan test I took. It's possible...just keep at it. Good luck!