First CAT (36Q 48% 34V 72%) -590 -Potential for high 600's?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I just started the MGMAT self study and did my first MGMAT CAT. I am decent in verbal, but have a long way to go with the sentance correction. I really blew those questions.

The Q stuff I find very hard but I am 6 years out of school so I hope that's a reasonable excuse ;)

With a honest effort (like 150hrs) is high 600's attainable without a miracle? I plan to complete the course and then get a tutor if need be.

Thank you!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:52 am
If your first CAT score is a 590, I honestly don't even think you need a class or a tutor to score in the high 600s. I scored a 680 on my first attempt without a class. I think if you want to break into the 700s though, a class may be the way to go. Let me know if you have any other questions.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:24 am
UBCwannabe wrote:Hi,

I just started the MGMAT self study and did my first MGMAT CAT. I am decent in verbal, but have a long way to go with the sentance correction. I really blew those questions.

The Q stuff I find very hard but I am 6 years out of school so I hope that's a reasonable excuse ;)

With a honest effort (like 150hrs) is high 600's attainable without a miracle? I plan to complete the course and then get a tutor if need be.

Thank you!
I think it's definitely possible as long as you study correctly and efficiently. Don't do too many practice problems at the beginning. Focus more on getting the theory down, and then do tons of problems. Also, make sure you keep track of all of your mistakes, all the problems that took you too long, all the problems that you weren't sure of etc.. etc.. Learning from your problems is perhaps more important that doing the questions in the first place.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT