Fifth Attempt 680, Need Strategy to score 720+

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
I wrote my GMAT today after a gap of 1 year and scored 680
-I have not been able to improve much in both quant and Verbal . My biggest problem has been to know where I stand before the test.

-Since i have taken MGMAT and Gmat prep many times and almost all the question have been repeating during my test,
I have always had problem tracking my progress. ( as I score 720, 760 during tests). What should I do to know where I stand during a practice test. How can I get a reasonable estimate of my progress .

- How should I improve on verbal, any advice you feel can improve my score . How should I approach verbal section during practice

- How should I improve my stamina during test,
[since in practice test, I complete my quant section in 30 min as I know the questions, it is not a replica of actual situation ]
Last edited by amnesty17 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:11 pm
Hi amnesty17,

A 680 is a solid, competitive score and puts you in position to apply to any Business School you want. If you can answer a few questions, then I'll be happy to advise:

1) What schools are you planning to apply to?
2) What resources have you been using to study?
3) What type of deadline(s) are you on?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:14 am
Hello Amnesty,
Another couple things to think about

1) Do you know where your weaknesses are exactly? It's not enough to say "the verbal section". You need to know exactly where your problem areas are. For example, you might have trouble with modifiers in the sentence correction part. Another common problem area is the rates and work section in math. Go through all of your old questions that you've done and try to find out exactly where you've been having problems.

2) While I like the Manhattan and GMATPrep tests, I've seen a couple people that scored well who went to the Kaplan tests after they ran out of the other tests. Doing more of these would probably help you with your stamina

3) Have you done all of the official guides? What about the question pack from the GMATPrep software?

4) Finally Rich made a good point that a 680 might be sufficient to get you into the school that you need depending on your background. One of my students last year got into Harvard with a 680.

Cheers!
Dan
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT