This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750+

Few queries for MBA in Canada

by ILULA08 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:06 am
Dear Stacy

Need your help to decide for Schools.

My profile is :
I am an Indian Male working with fortune 50 Company for the last 2 years.Work is on the technology side and not marketing/consulting etc.
I have extracurriculars at School Level (played for my District in a Soccer tournament). I did my engineering from one of the top tier Colleges and was actively involved in Sports and Social Service. I am working now for the last 2 years and have around 9 months International Experience I am also an active member of an International Educational Club and have taken Leadership roles there.

Here are some queries which I think you can help me with:

1. I am applying this year in Nov for the 1st round and my work-ex will be 2.5 years(at the time of applying but 3 years at the time of admission). Is it too less?

2. I have 8 months International Exp, does it make a difference in my application?

3. My Undergrad CGPA is 8.07 with Honours from top tier Engg College in India. Is it competitive for applying to top B Schools in Canada?

4. I am interested in Consulting(not sure what exactly but not finance) and Marketing. DO you know which schools have these as their fortes?

5. Lastly how much I shall be ready to bear for the whole MBA thing(tution, living etc etc)??

6. Any inputs about these B Schools in particular:
a) Toronto(Rotman)
b) Queen's
c) Western Ontario (Ivey)
d) York(Schulich)
e) Degroote (Mccmaster Univ)

I am thinking of applying just 2 out of these. So seriously need to know that is my profile competitive for these schools?
Thanks in anticipation. Looking forward to your reply.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:59 am
Dear ILULA08,

1. I am applying this year in Nov for the 1st round and my work-ex will be 2.5 years(at the time of applying but 3 years at the time of admission). Is it too less?
You will meet the minimum preferred amount of experience, so you are fine in terms of quantity. What is more important is the quality of your work experience during this time. Have you progressed? Do you have a breadth and depth of knowledge in your field?

2. I have 8 months International Exp, does it make a difference in my application?
Perhaps. It depends on the school and whether or not international experience is preferred/required. Likewise, if the international experience gave you some quality experience or is an indicator of progression in your field, then it can help in that regard.

3. My Undergrad CGPA is 8.07 with Honours from top tier Engg College in India. Is it competitive for applying to top B Schools in Canada?
4. I am interested in Consulting(not sure what exactly but not finance) and Marketing. DO you know which schools have these as their fortes?
5. Lastly how much I shall be ready to bear for the whole MBA thing(tution, living etc etc)??
6. Any inputs about Canadian B Schools?

For your last 4 questions, I encourage you to do some more research on the 5 schools you have identified. You should be able to find information regarding total program costs (including an estimate of living expenses), industry connections and placement results, curriculum, and the average GPA for candidates in the program. If your GPA is at or above that average, then you will be in a competitive position on that measure.

You have identified some great programs in Canada. Ivey, Schulich, and Rotman are all gaining in reputation and Queens is starting to make strides as well. However, you need to figure out which of these schools is the best fit for you. In order to do that, you need to determine what is important to you in a program (i.e., curriculum, industry connections/placement success, alumni network, culture, location, etc.). Then you will want to prioritize the list and measure each program against your list. After that, you should be able to rank the programs according to which one makes the most sense for you.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vonsumit » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:18 pm
Hi Lisa
Need your advice on my profile
I am planning my MBA 2014 from canada. after my extansive research i have shortlisird following college
can some one give me advice about them
U of Victoria
U of Ottawa
U of Saskatchewan
U of Windsor

Main reason selecting this college is there fees and GMAT scores. i gave Gmat got 510 now woll give again in may target 600+
My profile is as follows
Diploma in industrial electronics
Bachelors in Engineering (Electronics)
After degree work ex 2 Years and before degree 3 years
Now working as Assistant manager client service and training ...