Female and Male Students in US medical schools

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:680
According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school.
(A) the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school
(B) as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school
(C) the number of female students is as many as that of male students currently enrolled in medical school
(D) as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school
(E) female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school

Source: Kap 800

[spoiler]Doubt: Why is E incorrect? IMO, it makes it more clear than B. Isn't equal numbers correct usage? Because we are comparing two numbers here.
OA: B[/spoiler]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bakhshaliyev » Thu May 12, 2011 8:29 pm
"in equal numbers" is wordy... "as many as" is better

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Thu May 12, 2011 10:44 pm
What is wrong with A and C?
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Fri May 13, 2011 12:10 am
Correct Idiom is "as many X as Y" so B

Option A has Redundancy --->
the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school
Its obvious that medical students will get enrolled in medical schools only (.. in real life it may be different:))

Option C is awkward.
Number of X is as many as Number of Y

Number of X is equal to Number of Y

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Fri May 13, 2011 1:02 am
Thanks smackmartine
Regards,

Pranay

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by NeedThatFire » Sun May 15, 2011 1:52 pm
Also shouldn't "The number" point to singular student? rather than students?

Legendary Member

by smackmartine » Sun May 15, 2011 5:55 pm
NeedThatFire wrote:Also shouldn't "The number" point to singular student? rather than students?
eg. The number of doctors in the hospital IS declining. (modifier of "The number" is generally plural.)

If you address only one doctor , you may write:
Only one doctor has resigned.

GMAT will generally test you on two usage of "number of"
Just keep these usage in mind:

1) "The number of" is always singular.
2) "A number of" is always plural.

3) "The numbers of " is always incorrect.

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:24 am
I think we cannot use "equivalent to" in GMAT when we are comparing people..........please correct me if I am wrong but I read this rule somewhere

Legendary Member

by smackmartine » Mon May 16, 2011 2:33 pm
aspirant2011 wrote:I think we cannot use "equivalent to" in GMAT when we are comparing people..........please correct me if I am wrong but I read this rule somewhere
aspirant2011,

we can use "equivalent" when we compare people because "equivalent" is also a noun which means A person or thing equal to another in value or significance etc.

Eg. 1) Send five dollars or the equivalent in stamps.
2) Those three men are equivalent in their verbal skills.

I do not see any strong reason for GMAT not to use "equivalent" . Btw where did you find that rule? If any, do let me know.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon May 16, 2011 7:23 pm
realizedream wrote:According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school.
(A) the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school
(C) the number of female students is as many as that of male students currently enrolled in medical school
(D) as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school
(E) female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school

[spoiler]Doubt: Why is E incorrect? IMO, it makes it more clear than B. Isn't equal numbers correct usage? Because we are comparing two numbers here.
Notice when a modifier changes position in the answer choices.

In A, C and D, the placement of currently enrolled next to male students implies that only the male students are currently enrolled. It must be clear what a modifier is modifying. Eliminate A, C and D.

B is better than E because B places in medical school next to enrolled, the verb being modified. A modifier should be as close as possible to what it's modifying. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:15 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
realizedream wrote:According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school.

In A, C and D, the placement of currently enrolled next to male students implies that only the male students are currently enrolled. It must be clear what a modifier is modifying. Eliminate A, C and D.

B is better than E because B places in medical school next to enrolled, the verb being modified. A modifier should be as close as possible to what it's modifying. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is B.
Hi GMATGURUNY,

Can we use "equivalent to" when we refer to people???????

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue May 17, 2011 6:04 am
aspirant2011 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is B.
Hi GMATGURUNY,

We when we say that X is equivalent to Y, we imply that X and Y are equal in value or rank.

One glass of orange juice is nutritionally equivalent to two oranges.

We don't typically use equivalent to compare actual numbers.

In A, it seems strange to say that the number of female students is equivalent to the number of male students, because we are not judging the value of the number of each group; we are counting the actual number. Thus, it's better to say that one number is equal to the other number.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:57 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
aspirant2011 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is B.
Hi GMATGURUNY,

We when we say that X is equivalent to Y, we imply that X and Y are equal in value or rank.

One glass of orange juice is nutritionally equivalent to two oranges.

We don't typically use equivalent to compare actual numbers.

In A, it seems strange to say that the number of female students is equivalent to the number of male students, because we are not judging the value of the number of each group; we are counting the actual number. Thus, it's better to say that one number is equal to the other number.
thanks a ton mitch :-)