Feeling Lost !! Need Strategy for preparation.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I have been studying on and off for GMAT from several months now . But from Oct I am seriously preparing for GMAT with 2 hrs of study everyday. I just randomly select a topic(CR,SC,DS,PS) and work few problems each day. I dont have a clear strategy. I am good in quant but make silly mistakes sometimes.

I have solved most of the questions for Magoosh and also solved all materials of Knewton online.

How should I plan my studies ? Which CAT should I take to access my skills at prep stage ?

Please help me as I feel I am running in just any direction without clear strategy.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:33 am
Hi crezme,

There are a variety of ways to go about studying for the GMAT. As such, we need to better define your goals, timeline, strengths and weaknesses, so that we can put together a suitable study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your situation:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

From what you wrote, it sounds like you have NOT taken any practice CAT Tests. It's important to take FULL-length CATs at regular intervals, so that you can measure your progress and figure out what subject areas require more practice. You should plan to take one soon (you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com). A FULL CAT takes almost 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to do so. Once you have those scores, you should report back here.

To help you set an expectation for your study plan, here's some general information about what you should plan for. Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time to reach their peak scores. A typical week will include 10-15 hours of study and that will include a FULL-length practice CAT every 1-2 weeks.

If you have any questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by JTuquero » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:42 pm
Hi crezme,

I agree with Rich, if you haven't taken a CAT test, you should start by doing this. It'll help you understand where you are and where your weaknesses are.

If you find that you need more support, consider meeting with a GMAT tutor either in person or online. It could be helpful in terms of developing a personalized strategy to help you meet your goal score.

Jessica
The Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
https://econgm.at/freetrial7