Feeling dejected

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:620

Feeling dejected

by levocap » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:07 pm
Will I ever be 100% ready for the GMAT?
I have been studying using Kaplan method, Gmat Hacks, and now Manhattan Gmat method. Then I am suppose to do OG, LSAT CR, Gmat Prep.
Every provider teaches the method differently, and some are better than others in diff sections.

All I am saying is, today I might finish Manhattan Gmat, then tomorrow someone on the forum says Powerbook is a must...it just feels like I can never be 100% prepared and jumping back and forth between methods is really confusing. 5 months into this journey, i feel like I can use another 6 months.
under-dog

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by bharathh » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:19 pm
There is a famous story told in India about a guy who was trying to dig a well to get potable water.

He dug for about 5 mins when somebody passing down the road told him that he was foolish to try and dig there.. So he went to another place and dug for 10 mins.

Another passerby told him he was foolish to dig there and so he went and dug in a third place. By the end of the day he had dug in multiple places and was yet to strike water. He realized that had he just stayed in his original spot he would have struck water even if had to dig continuously for so long.

Moral of the story is ... don't be whimsical. Stay the course whatever it may be. Don't keep getting swayed by others. Do what you feel suits you best.

Btw I felt like typing out a little for my AWA. Please do point out grammatical mistakes that I may have made.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by georgeung » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:18 pm
bharathh wrote:There is a famous story told in India about a guy who was trying to dig a well to get potable water.

He dug for about 5 mins when somebody passing down the road told him that he was foolish to try and dig there.. So he went to another place and dug for 10 mins.

Another passerby told him he was foolish to dig there and so he went and dug in a third place. By the end of the day he had dug in multiple places and was yet to strike water. He realized that had he just stayed in his original spot he would have struck water even if had to dig continuously for so long.

Moral of the story is ... don't be whimsical. Stay the course whatever it may be. Don't keep getting swayed by others. Do what you feel suits you best.

Btw I felt like typing out a little for my AWA. Please do point out grammatical mistakes that I may have made.
What a great story! (I'm going to show this story to my brother who's about to go to college. Everyone has been telling him to do this major or that. Thanks for sharing it!)

I understand how you feel levocap. Sometimes people never feel prepared, but that shouldn't stop any of us from postponing and delaying indefinitely.

I started studying a while ago, after the six months were up, I told myself I could have used another six months, but then I've read all over this forum that people study for 2-3 months and I thought if they only needed 2-3 months, then what am I doing studying for almost a year, haha.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:23 pm
the problem with listening to people's advice on forums is that mostly everyone has used different study aids and methods to achieve a good score.

however, there are a few common study guides and resources that i've seen people with 700+ scores use (and that i myself used). one is the MGMAT sentence correction book, and the other is LSAT prep books for logical reasoning / critical reasoning (i personally used powerscore, but i think others have used different books).

while your study habits and materials may include other things, at the very least i'd recommend using the 2 resources listed above in your studies. and don't get discouraged - the GMAT is definitely beatable. you just need discipline and patience above all
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7