Fashion Design Major for Undergraduate

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Fashion Design Major for Undergraduate

by icandy018 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:58 pm
Hi there.
I have been reading other posts on this forum and I see a lot of people with undergraduate degrees in subjects that are very much business related. I'm worried that the school I apply to wont take me seriously now. I had a good GPA like i previously posted (3.4). I realized that design just isn't challenging enough for me so getting my MBA is of major importance for this career switch. Any opinions on this issue??

Is your question related to the "GMAT STRATEGY" ?

icandy018 wrote:Hi there.
I have been reading other posts on this forum and I see a lot of people with undergraduate degrees in subjects that are very much business related. I'm worried that the school I apply to wont take me seriously now. I had a good GPA like i previously posted (3.4). I realized that design just isn't challenging enough for me so getting my MBA is of major importance for this career switch. Any opinions on this issue??
:?:
GMAT DELIGHT

by icandy018 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:42 pm
Yes. My strategy to get in to business school. If there is a better section, please let me know :D

by emrahercan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:54 pm
I am wondering whether you will be able to find it by yourself.

Good luck - you will need it 8)

Hint: "business school"

3-2-1 GO!
GMAT DELIGHT

by icandy018 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:00 am
don't be rude I am just as smart as anyone esle on here. No need to mock me. I am on here for advice.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:22 am
your major is definitely unlike the majors of the vast majority of mba candidates - a situation that you could probably parlay into some kind of "diversity factor" if you spin it the right way.
remember that many business schools are obsessed with "diversity" of various sorts, including diversity of work experience. therefore, if you can put together an application that convinces the admissions committee that you are, in fact, a serious candidate, you could go far.

the challenge will be conveying your potential for leadership and/or entrepreneurship. have you done anything that broadcasts a significant potential in either of those two areas? will you be able to get strong letters of recommendation that testify to your potential as a leader / entrepreneur?

are you an innovator? have any of your designs been innovative, setting new standards in some way?

etc.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by icandy018 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:28 am
I def. agree and think that they will see me as different and interesting. I am writing a strong and convincing personal statement, and its already in process. My roommate is excellent in grammar and helped two other people (who got in to top business schools) with their essays too. I am of course making myself sound great and exaggerating examples of why.

I was at my last job for 1 year 8 months and was promoted 2 times. I started as a Receptionist but I'm not sure if i should leave that out for not. I saw advantages and disadvantages to both. They will see it as great progression OR that I wasn't talented enough to get a designer job right after graduation. But i did work by way up super fast and right now I'm a big company where i have a ton of creative freedom. So I'm not sure if 'receptionist' should be indicated in my personal statement or my resume. I did notice that when i was interviewing for my current job that i wasn't getting any offers. But I took off receptionist and just used 2nd title as my first. I was offered a position very soon after! Let me know what you think about this.

I'm taking the Kaplan tutoring to increase my score from a 370 to a 500-550. I actually just received the official test score today and i got a 4.5 on the essay portion which is pretty good! So im really optimistic that I will be able to raise my score a lot after taking these courses. I just need to work on identifying how to solve the problem quicker because time management was my death before, considering i had to guess on almost half the questions on my 370 GMAT test.

I'm just hoping that when I have equal GPA, personal statement, and GMAT as other applicants, that my undergraduate major wont hinder me from getting in.

Thoughts are welcome.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:47 pm
I wouldn't worry about the major. What you need to show is that you have business potential, as Ron said. Whether you majored in economics or fashion design, you need to show the ad comm that you have had a succesful post-college career, that you have potential for leadership positions, and that you have a well thought reason for wanting to get the MBA that seems to fit with your career progression thus far.

For what it's worth, I majored in history and was accepted to the top accounting programs in the country. I don't think my liberal arts background ever hindered me in admissions or in my career.

Good luck!
Last edited by VP_Jim on Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:20 pm
Moved to the b-school forum area.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school