Extreme Problems with DS

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Extreme Problems with DS

by yearzack » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:14 am
Good Morning All,

I am currently slated to take the GMAT in August and am running in issues with DS. I am currently using MGMAT, OG, and Magoosh products to aid in my studying. I notice that with the PS problems the more of them I do the better I am performing, however not with DS. I understand the mathematical concepts of the problems however in DS I keep on running into issues. Any strategies that will help my overcome this hurdle in the race to the GMAT would be greatly appreciated. Any resources would also be greatly appreciated.

All the Best,
Yearzack

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:54 pm
Hi yearzack,

Data Sufficiency can be a challenge for many Test Takers, so you're not alone. One of the things to remember about DS questions is that they test you on a variety of skills that are not, strictly speaking, "math skills" - thoroughness, organization, attention-to-detail, the ability to PROVE that you're correct, etc. As such, you'll often need Quant tactics and pattern-matching skills to perform at a high level on DS questions (as a group).

When you say that you're using those 'products', does that mean that you're just doing lots of practice problems? Do you have a series of 'steps' that you consistently go through when dealing with DS questions (and if so, then what are those steps?)?

How have you performed on your practice CATs (including Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
Are you having problems finishing any of the sections on time (do you have to rush just to get through all of the questions)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by yearzack » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:36 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi yearzack,

Data Sufficiency can be a challenge for many Test Takers, so you're not alone. One of the things to remember about DS questions is that they test you on a variety of skills that are not, strictly speaking, "math skills" - thoroughness, organization, attention-to-detail, the ability to PROVE that you're correct, etc. As such, you'll often need Quant tactics and pattern-matching skills to perform at a high level on DS questions (as a group).

When you say that you're using those 'products', does that mean that you're just doing lots of practice problems? Do you have a series of 'steps' that you consistently go through when dealing with DS questions (and if so, then what are those steps?)?

How have you performed on your practice CATs (including Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
Are you having problems finishing any of the sections on time (do you have to rush just to get through all of the questions)?

Rich
I have only taken 1 GMATPrep full-length exam and 1 CAT. My scores were 580 (36Q, 33V) and 610 (38Q, 35V) respectively. When using products I am using the Beat The GMAT 60-day Study guide. I am using MGMAT prep books to study and review material, then practice problems through the OG. Then if I have the time/energy I am practicing problems through Magoosh. I am trying to average 3-4hrs/day. As these scores indicate there is loads of room for improvement particularly in Quant. In regards to timing, through a very small sample size I am finishing with extra time without rushing and my mistakes are usually "silly" algebra mistakes or mistaking correct signage. These are the things that I will need to use my extra time on to tighten everything up. As far as strategies I have reviewed Magoosh's DS videos and just recently finished the GMATPrepNow DS module. In regards to a series of concrete steps I do not currently have a set strategy on how to combat DS problems, which is probably the reasoning for such poor performance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the Best,
Yearzack

by yearzack » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:36 am

Rich
I have only taken 1 GMATPrep full-length exam and 1 CAT. My scores were 580 (36Q, 33V) and 610 (38Q, 35V) respectively. When using products I am using the Beat The GMAT 60-day Study guide. I am using MGMAT prep books to study and review material, then practice problems through the OG. Then if I have the time/energy I am practicing problems through Magoosh. I am trying to average 3-4hrs/day. As these scores indicate there is loads of room for improvement particularly in Quant. In regards to timing, through a very small sample size I am finishing with extra time without rushing and my mistakes are usually "silly" algebra mistakes or mistaking correct signage. These are the things that I will need to use my extra time on to tighten everything up. As far as strategies I have reviewed Magoosh's DS videos and just recently finished the GMATPrepNow DS module. In regards to a series of concrete steps I do not currently have a set strategy on how to combat DS problems, which is probably the reasoning for such poor performance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the Best,
Yearzack

by yearzack » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:37 am

Rich

All the Best,
Yearzack

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:28 am
The usual reason for people struggling with DS questions is lack of understanding of the fundamentals. It doesn't mean that you don't know the topics, but rather how they are applied on the GMAT. You should start focusing on DS questions that fall in the same categories and understand exactly how those questions are similar and different.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review