Extra Curricular

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Extra Curricular

by Gandolf » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:53 pm
I am 24 years old, working full time, and spending the next 2-3 years building my career, studying for the GMAT, and taking classes to improve upon my academic record (GPA is 3.3 and I want to get all A's in these classes) before applying to business school.

Aside from the obvious stuff I mentioned above, what are the best EC activities to have for MBA admissions? I don't really do much of anything now and in college I worked full time. Any advice on what will get me the most bang for my buck, so to speak? I want to get involved with something ASAP. Is volunteer work as important as career related activities?

Thanks in advance. I am new to this and appreciate any advice. This forum is great!

by Gandolf » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:22 pm
Btw, I am looking into Habitat for Humanity as my volunteer work. Would this be a good choice from the admission director's eyes?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:10 am
It depends upon your role in the Habitat project. Adcoms know when you are trying to add a lot of extracurriculars just for your application. Therefore, you need to have a role that shows leadership, project management or something that you strongly believe in.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by mroper12 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:51 pm
Hi Gandolf. Thank you for sharing a great question.

If you are looking for a fantastic pre-MBA experience that will boost your b-school admit strategy, consider our professional group, USA Leadership Corps (www usaLeadershipCorps org) .

USALC partners with pre-MBAs who are looking to build their consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement resumes by leading part-time volunteer nonprofit strategy consulting projects.

Please visit our website to learn more.

Thank you & good luck.

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps