Explanation

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

Explanation

by Soumita Ghosh » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:46 pm
A new computer program for three-dimensional modeling, which was meant to be the ultimate tool for product designers, was released onto the market after years of development. The program was extremely powerful, offering thousands of unique features, but most importantly it would prevent the user from rendering objects which were impossible to physically form due to illogical planes which were results of geometrical flaws in the work of the designer. The software company that created the program saw this last feature as vital in the process of product design and planned to become a leader in the market by basing a product on such a complex ability. Nevertheless, many design companies rejected the program after a few months of use, and returned to use competing products instead.

Which of the following, if true, does the most to explain why the plan failed to achieve its objective?

A)Designers, often entering the professional field because of a love for drawing, sculpting and other physical art forms, are sometimes intimidated by or simply not attracted to using computer programs to design objects.
B)The process of product design can vary greatly in nature depending on company and designer, and does not always entail a large amount of three-dimensional computer modeling.
C)Many designers use three-dimensional modeling programs to express design concepts, and so need the freedom to create any thinkable shape, even those that cannot be formed in physical reality.
D)The software company did not take into account the fact that the design companies may not be that enthusiastic to assimilate a new program, however powerful it may be.
E)In a feature of the program, the geometrical flaws caused by the designer could be highlighted, allowing the designer to edit the operations causing those flaws, resulting in a physically logical object

OA C

My confusion is with B and C.

I chose B as in option B it is given that the process of product of process design vary greatly in nature depending upon the company and designer. So this explain why the plan failed to achieve its objective. By choosing this option we can give explanation that due to change of designer in the company many designer company rejected the program after few months of use.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by challenger63 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:14 pm
Explanation below.

A new computer program for three-dimensional modeling, which was meant to be the ultimate tool for product designers, was released onto the market after years of development. The program was extremely powerful, offering thousands of unique features, but most importantly it would prevent the user from rendering objects which were impossible to physically form due to illogical planes which were results of geometrical flaws in the work of the designer. The software company that created the program saw this last feature as vital in the process of product design and planned to become a leader in the market by basing a product on such a complex ability. Nevertheless, many design companies rejected the program after a few months of use, and returned to use competing products instead.

Which of the following, if true, does the most to explain why the plan failed to achieve its objective?

A)Designers, often entering the professional field because of a love for drawing, sculpting and other physical art forms, are sometimes intimidated by or simply not attracted to using computer programs to design objects.

>> Sometimes to write a letter I use a pen instead of PC. So, what? I have no plan on declining usage of PC.

B)The process of product design can vary greatly in nature depending on company and designer, and does not always entail a large amount of three-dimensional computer modeling.

>> Yes, for some unique examples, sometimes, 3D modelling is not useful. So, what? We still can use it in most cases.

C)Many designers use three-dimensional modeling programs to express design concepts, and so need the freedom to create any thinkable shape, even those that cannot be formed in physical reality.

>> MANY (≈MAJORITY) can't use the program due to created limitations.
This is it, our right answer.

D)The software company did not take into account the fact that the design companies may not be that enthusiastic to assimilate a new program, however powerful it may be.

>> This one is a tempting answer. But business world works differently. For example, maybe nobody likes Microsoft Office but all use this software.

E)In a feature of the program, the geometrical flaws caused by the designer could be highlighted, allowing the designer to edit the operations causing those flaws, resulting in a physically logical object

>> This advanced feature actually intensifies paradox why design companies decline to use software.
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:700

by shenoydevika » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:25 pm
nice explanation by Challenger!

Soumita, why not B?

B says that not all design companies or designers use three-dimensional modelling. But we are told Nevertheless, many design companies rejected the program after a few months of use, and returned to use competing products instead. . We can't assume, as you have, that these companies originally tried the new program but rejected it when they hired new designers who didn't want to use the program

So, many companies used the program(meaning they did use three-dimensional modelling) but then rejected it. Why?
We know that the new program is amazing. It has plenty of wonderful features. It even prevents designers from rendering physically impossible designs. Option C tells us that many designers actually want to be able to render physically impossible designs. They rejected the new program because it prevents them from doing so.