Carolina and Oregon - and selected American Indian reservations as

well.

A)and selected American Indian reservations as well

B)including selected American Indian reservations

C)as well as from selected American Indian reservations

D)and in selected American Indian reservations as well

E)with selected American Indian reservations included

OA C. My answer was D...Please tell why it is wrong

In 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approximately 25 states, according to John Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, who tracked the different state populations.

A)Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, who tracked the different state populations.

B)Rosen, who is the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, tracks the different state populations.

C)Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group, who tracked the different state populations and was located in the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming.

D)Rosen, who is the manager of the wildlife research group and was tracking the different state populations at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming.

E)Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming and who tracked the different state populations.

OA E. My answer C...Please explain

In the high-profile Senate race in North Carolina, neither Senator Kay

Hagan, who is the Democratic leader, or Thom Tillis, who is her

Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, have

released recent campaign fundraising figures.

A)who is the Democratic leader, or Thom Tillis, who is her Republican

challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, have

B)the Democratic leader, and Thom Tillis, her Republican challenger who

is Speaker of the North Carolina House, have

C)who is the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, who is her Republican

challenger and also Speaker of the North Carolina House, have

D)the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, the Republican challenger, who

is Speaker of the North Carolina House, has

E)the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, her Republican challenger and

Speaker of the North Carolina House, has

OA E..My answer is D ..I think 'her' makes pronoun ambiguity

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:770

by Spencer@Prep4GMAT » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:15 pm
The analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states - New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon - and selected American Indian reservations as well.

Hi src_saurav,

Thanks for the question. The states named in between the dashes is a parenthetical addition providing specific information about the five states, so the sentence can be understood just as well, grammatically, without them: The analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states and selected American Indian reservations as well.

Incorrect: "and" and "as well" are redundant since they convey the same thing.

Incorrect: This sounds like the reservations are specifically in the five states, which is not necessarily the case.

Correct: It's clear with this construction that the analysis includes data from 3 million children in five states and also from selected reservations.

Incorrect: There is redundancy here, as there was in (A).

Incorrect: It's unclear what the reservations were included in -- in the analysis? In the five states?

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question! I'll come back to the others you posted here.
Ready4

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:770

by Spencer@Prep4GMAT » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:41 pm
In the high-profile Senate race in North Carolina, neither Senator Kay Hagan, who is the Democratic leader, or Thom Tillis, who is her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, have released recent campaign fundraising figures.

The construction ...neither... or... is singular and requires the verb has, not have. This narrows our answer choices down to (D) and (E).

A)who is the Democratic leader, or Thom Tillis, who is her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, have

B)the Democratic leader, and Thom Tillis, her Republican challenger who is Speaker of the North Carolina House, have

C)who is the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, who is her Republican challenger and also Speaker of the North Carolina House, have

D)the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, the Republican challenger, who is Speaker of the North Carolina House, has
Incorrect: the Republican challenger makes it sound like there is one Republican challenger. Also, the string of modifiers, the Republican..., who is Speaker... is awkward and moreover unclear. It seems to modify challenger rather than Thom. Is the Republican challenger always the same person as the Speaker of the House?

E)the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, has
Correct: It's clear that Thom is both Kay's challenger and Speaker of the NC House.

OA E..My answer is D ..I think 'her' makes pronoun ambiguity

Her is not ambiguous since it can only refer to Kay in this sentence. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Ready4

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by minhle2016 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:42 pm
Spencer@Prep4GMAT wrote:The analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states - New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon - and selected American Indian reservations as well.

Hi src_saurav,

Thanks for the question. The states named in between the dashes is a parenthetical addition providing specific information about the five states, so the sentence can be understood just as well, grammatically, without them: The analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states and selected American Indian reservations as well.

Incorrect: "and" and "as well" are redundant since they convey the same thing.

Incorrect: This sounds like the reservations are specifically in the five states, which is not necessarily the case.

Correct: It's clear with this construction that the analysis includes data from 3 million children in five states and also from selected reservations.

Incorrect: There is redundancy here, as there was in (A).

Incorrect: It's unclear what the reservations were included in -- in the analysis? In the five states?

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question! I'll come back to the others you posted here.
Hi Spencer,

I came across this SC question but have yet to find a satisfactory explanation why C is the right answer. I understand the OA is not redundant (i.e. having both "and" and "as well"). However, I question the validity of its parallel structure, because it is comparing "children younger than 15 in five states" to "selected American Indian reservations".

How can such comparison be valid? C tells me that the data is from children in 5 states and from selected reservations. Shouldn't a more logical sentence be "from children in 5 states and from children in selected reservations", or something like that?