Experiences on personal learning curve?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Experiences on personal learning curve?

by Marlen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:02 am
I have reviewed math for more than two weeks now and also completed all the free prep software questions. Now I was trying to go through the OG diagnostic test and am worried because I don't seem to be able to successfully solve any of the problems. Is that normal at this stage or does it mean I'll just need to do a little more than others? I would greatly appreciate any comments on your personal experience or how many you got right in the first month of studying.

I understand about 70% of the answers after checking with the solutions and have a hard time working through the other solutions.

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:49 pm
It's certainly not uncommon, especially if you haven't done the types of math required in many years (a couple of years ago, I had a student who hadn't done algebra in 20+ years!). If you're understanding most of the explanations, that means that you have at least a decent foundation on which to build. For the ones you don't understand, feel free to post threads and we'll be happy to help.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Marlen » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:27 am
Thanks for the response. I do have two quick questions that might be too simple to ask but I am doing it anyway.

When I have a simple calculation like 10,000*(1.01)^2 what is the fastest way to calculate that? Right now I am multiplying each of the digits every time and it takes so much time.

Also, maybe you have a trick for simple calculations like 0.04:150 ? I get the solution but there must be a faster way than mine.

Thanks so much!