Except questions

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Except questions

by sq720 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:28 pm
A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT:
(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs.
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany.
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.

C
Any hints on how to solve EXCEPT questions?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by matterover » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:55 pm
Got this tip from some forum.
for all EXCEPT questions, include a "does not" in the question. I find it helpful.

Ex :
all of the following options tend to support the argument , EXCEPT -->
Which of the options DOES NOT tend to support the argument.?

all of the following options tend to weaken the argument, EXCEPT -->
Which of the options DOES NOT weaken the argument...
NOTE : The choices could be a) Option that Strengthens the argument OR
b) Option that is totally irrelevant to the argument.
This is one place where OUT OF SCOPE / IRRELEVANT answer choices can be correct.

all of the following options provide an assumption to the argument, EXCEPT -->
Which of the options DOES NOT provide an assumption ?

Coming the the following QN.
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT: -->
Which of the following option DOES NOT counter the reasonable

Argument :
More computers are purchased than the computer programs(Windows Vista).
This means that ppl do not buy Vista but indulge in illegally duplicating Vista and installing on these computers.
Which Option DOES NOT counter some reasonable objection -->
(Option either directly counters or is out of scope).

A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs.
this is an objection, indicating that some users do not buy programs, but prefer to write their own.hence there is no illegal duplications.

This is another objection, indicating that there are free programes(LINUX) and hence there is no illegal duplications.

(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.
Another objection, indicating that the computer itself comes with several programs and hence pppl do not additionally purchase programs.hence there is no illegal duplications.

(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.
this choice i am not too sure how to connect, but it seems to provide some support to LEGAL copying and hence indicating that there is no duplication and hence is serving as an objection..

(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey.
this one choice seem to tell why the number of computers purchased by germans is more, but is not countering or providing any information on the computer programs - copying legal or illegal.

As you may have noticed, all the above options other than C, seem to talk about the programs and providing some objection to the argument that there is not much illegal copying.
EXCEPT --> would mean, which one DOES NOT provide a counter the argument.
NOTE : AGAIN.. EXCEPT questions,, be ready to accept answer choices which are out of scope or irrelevant.

My $0.01

[/quote]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

Re: Except questions

by Uri » Fri May 01, 2009 12:14 am
sq720 wrote:A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT:
C

I am not a native english speaker and the language of the problem seems quite difficult to me. the reason for this disclaimer is what i have understood from the problem is somewhat different than what matterover has inferred.

the question says, "Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT". that means we have to find out a choice which does not necessarily work for the argument. putting me in the perspective i would think that i have made the above argument and then somebody has tried to negate me. i don't know what all questions he may have asked. but in reply what i can say that will not necessarily work for my argument- that is what we are told to find out. i understand this is quite complicated, but this what i could understand from the question stem.

(A) is works for my argument. if someone opposes my argument by saying that german users write their own computer programs, then i can counter by saying that actually few do so. so, eliminate (A).

(B) also works for my argument. if someone says that the germans use free non-commercial computer programs, then i can counter by saying that there are few non-commercial programs in germany and so they must be using pirated programs. eliminate (B).

(D) also works for my argument. it would strengthen my argument that typical german users have several commercially written computer programs in their computers and since they generally do not purchase those programs, they must have obtained pirated copies.

(E) is trickier than the earlier ones. if somebody opposes my argument by saying that some germans legally duplicate commercially available programs, then i can argue by saying that they have already been counted as purchased programs and thus the opponent's reasoning is ullified.

(C) is our last option after this POE. so, choose (C). since we don't know from this option whether the computers purchased outside germany uses legal or pirated copies of programs, so we can not definitely say whether this option would work in favour of or against my argument.

please rectify me if my understanding of the question is wrong.

by matterover » Fri May 01, 2009 1:00 am
You have rightly put it in perspective,

My reasoning..is based on..
someone mentioned the above argument and
What would i say that would raise the objections to what he said.
Try this way..now.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: Except questions

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Fri May 01, 2009 1:30 am
sq720 wrote:A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.

The thing that makes this question tricky isn't the "EXCEPT", it's the question itself. The more complicated a question is, the more time you should spend ensuring that you've interpreted it correctly.

Let's start by ignoring the except:

"Which of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above?"

Still confused? I don't blame you - the double negative fools people every time. Let's break it carefully.

If we were looking for "an objection to the interpretation advanced above", we'd be weakening the argument.

If we're looking to "counter an objection", we're countering a weakener; hence, we're looking to strengthen the argument.

Now, adding our EXCEPT, we get:

"Each of the following strengthens the above interpretation EXCEPT".

For a regular strengthen question, the correct answer would make the conclusion more believable; the four wrong answers would either cast doubt on (weaken) the conclusion or be outside the scope of the conclusion.

For a strengthening except question, the world turns upside down:

the 4 wrong answers will all make the conclusion more believable; the correct answer will either WEAKEN or be OUTSIDE THE SCOPE (irrelevant).

Going through the choices:

(a) removes a legitimate reason for not buying software (people could just write it themselves), so it makes us believe that people are obtaining software illegally: eliminate (a).

(b) removes a legitimate reason for not buying software (people get it legally for free), so it makes us believe that people are obtaining software illegally: eliminate (b).

(d) confirms that computer owners actually have commercial software on their computers, so it reinforces that people are obtaining software illegally: eliminate (d).

(e) eliminates a possibile source of legally obtained software not counted by the survey, making the statistics cited more relevant: eliminate (e).

(c), on the other hand, focuses on where the computers were purchased. Since we have no clue how that affects software purchases, we cannot decide how (c) is relevant to the argument. Therefore, (c) is outside the scope and is NOT a strengthener: choose (c).

Remember: on strengthen/weaken/assumption EXCEPT questions, any choice that's outside the scope is a winner! So, even if you didn't understand exactly what this question was asking, if you can determine that it's some variation of strengthen/weaken EXCEPT, as soon as you notice that (c) is irrelevant you know it's the correct answer.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

by Uri » Fri May 01, 2009 1:35 am
Great explanation, Stuart! You are a star. Thank you!!!
matterover wrote: My reasoning..is based on..
someone mentioned the above argument and
What would i say that would raise the objections to what he said.
is it the way this question has been asked? you seem to be attacking the question from a totally different direction than i.

moreoever, from your explanations it seems that we have interpreted the word "few" in totally different ways. while by "few" you meant "some", i meant "negligible" in (A) and (B). (D) does not say that the computer comes loaded with legal copies. it only says that people have the copies somehow. so, to justify this, we need some more assumption. finally with your approach, it would be very difficult to eliminate (E), which you have admitted. if the legally duplicated copies have been counted as purchases, then by stating this how are you opposing the speaker? you are rather supporting him/her. if it is said that those legal copies had been counted as duplicates, then it would have supported your point.

please rectify me if i have made mistake in interpreting. and please under no circumstances take my above-mentioned objections as personal attacks. like all of us, i am also trying to find out a better a way to solve this kind of problem and think that we can help each other. so, once again, please feel free to point out if i have made any mistake.

by matterover » Fri May 01, 2009 2:41 am
Great Stuart..
I guess got it ..

I tend to visualize it as an argument among 3 ppl.

Alex : A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.

Bob : (Objection) : No, Not true, Users are able to write the programs themselves..and no need to duplicate.[i/]

Alice : (Counter to this objection) : True, but only
Few German computer users write their own computer programs.

choice B

Bob :(objection) : No, Not True, there are free noncommercial programs available.

Alice : (Counter to this objection) : True, but only
There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany.

choice D
( not too sure if this is the right objection)
Bob :(objection) : No, Not True, the computers do not have any commercial programs

Alice : (Counter to this objection) : No,
The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.

choice E :
Bob :(objection) : No, Not True, there are lot of legal duplicates which perhaps when counted would exceed the number of computers indicating that there is no large illegal duplicates

Alice : (Counter to this objection) : But,
Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.

Fortunately for EXCEPT questions, i tend to see what the answer choices are doing .( as a second check ofcourse ;-) )
Whether 2 or more choices are supporting / weakening / providing assumption, that sets the tone for the answer choices to seek .

I am glad that we all have learnt something useful today. and no offense ofcourse..

Thanks for the wonderful question and the explanations..

by Uri » Fri May 01, 2009 2:51 am
matterover wrote:I am glad that we all have learnt something useful today. and no offense ofcourse..

Thanks for the wonderful question and the explanations..
totally agree with you....a nice learning experience!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Excellent

by sq720 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:45 am
thanks guys

excellent explainations

by nicolette » Sun May 15, 2016 2:06 pm
I still feel A should be the answer

by mason77 » Sun May 15, 2016 2:36 pm
My vote for C