Exam in 10 days

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Exam in 10 days

by sudipt23 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:30 am
Hi, Im scheduled to sit for the exam in 10 days.

Have built up on the content but am not able to translate that into a good score. Would really appreciate any tips regarding:

1. How to build up confidence and lower anxiety levels for test day
2. How many CAT's should i take in the next few days? Target score- 650

My current MGMAT CAT scores are coming out as:

1. MGMAT 1 - 620 (Q 39, V 36)
2. MGMAT 2 - 580 (Q 38, V 33)

Thanks a lot

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:34 am
Hi Sudipt23,

Congratulations on all of your hard work building content knowledge so far! Here are some tips for your upcoming test.

1. Anxiety can be debilitating and hurt your score - or it can be a helpful tool to boost your score, if you view it in the right frame of mind. The feeling of nervous excitement that you get before a test, an important sporting event, or a major life event serves to focus your attention. You get that feeling of hyper-awareness and energy. Too much of that feeling, though, can cause panic, which impedes your ability to to focus. So, to channel that good excitement rather than creating counterproductive panic, here are a few things you should do:

- Plan to take the test twice. You're taking it in late November, but tell yourself that you'll take it again in late December (that's plenty of time for most 2nd round deadlines), no matter what the outcome this time. Unless you get a 750+, there's always the opportunity to improve a second time. That takes a lot of pressure off of you to get a perfect score the first time.

- Be ok with getting things wrong! The test is designed to feel hard for everyone, which means that everyone (even the experts!) get questions wrong. When you get to a question and think "oh no! I have no idea how to solve this," just tell yourself, "that's ok, that's supposed to happen on certain questions." Guess and move on without feeling bad about it.

- Remind yourself of the enormous amount that you know before going into the test. Review all of the rules to reinforce the feeling of "yeah, I know this stuff," but also remind yourself of all of your successes on the really hard problems. You know more than you think!

2. As for practice tests, don't go overboard! You shouldn't take more than 2 in a 10 day period. Practice tests serve to tell you how much you've learned, but they don't really create the learning themselves. Take one test, then review it in depth (you should spend more time reviewing that you spend taking the test in the first place). Spend some time thinking about how you could have improved your technique on each question. Then spend some time digging into any topics that need work.

Be especially aware of your time management. If you've only taken 2 CATs so far, you probably haven't exactly mastered a perfect timing balance. Make sure you're tracking your timing throughout each CAT.

Most importantly - don't burn yourself out in these last 10 days. Being well-rested and relaxed will do more to improve your score than getting extra hours of studying in but sacrificing sleep.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:38 am
Ceilidh Erickson

by sudipt23 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:37 am
Hi Ceilidh,

Many thanks for the great info regarding stress management.

Timing has been a major worry as i was stuck Q's and could not decide whether to guess and move on or not. As a result of this, i ended up spending a lot of time on Q's that i ultimately got wrong; and to top it up there were 7 wrong in a row in both exams.

Am planning to give 3 mock tests between now and the exam, should i stick to MGMAT or add in a GMATprep too ?

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:12 am
Here's a good general rule for timing: check in with yourself at the one-minute mark and ask yourself "do I know what this is asking, and do I have a CLEAR sense of how to solve it?" If the answer to that question is "no" or "I'm not sure," then you guess and move on at that point. If you don't really know what to do in one minute, it's unlikely that you'll know what to do in 3 minutes. On something that you're likely to get wrong anyway, get it wrong quickly and spend that extra time elsewhere!

That's different from questions like longer word problems, where you say to yourself "I know exactly how to solve this, but it's going to take a long time." For those, glance at the clock first. If you're ahead of time, go ahead and attempt the problem. If you're behind time, either a) skip the problem, or b) it you're SURE you'll get in right, go for it, but tell yourself that you'll have to skip something else soon.

MGMAT tests are great because there are answer explanations and you can run assessment reports on your data, so I'd recommend that 2 of your 3 be MGMAT (although as I said, 3 tests might be too many, if you don't have time to review really deeply). Your last CAT should be a GMATPrep one, though. Even though the MGMAT CATs are great, it's helpful to take the one written by the actual test writers. You can then search on BTG for answer explanations.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:13 am
Ceilidh Erickson

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:53 am
HI sudipt23,

Ceilidh has made a number of good points in her posts, so I won't rehash any of that here. Looking at your practice scores, you're actually REALLY close to scoring 650 right now. As such, you should take a good look at each of the questions that you got wrong on these practice CATs and try to define WHY you got them wrong. How many times did you make a silly/little mistake? How often did you narrow the answers down to 2 choices but still get the question wrong anyway? Fixing these little mistakes should help you to earn back the missing points that you're looking for.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by sudipt23 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:19 am
Hi Ceilidh/Rich,

Just gave my third MGMAT CAT - Score: 600 (Q-42, V-32)

By the middle of the verbal section i was feeling completely exhausted as I got 3 RC Q's in the 1st 15 Q's. 2 of them long RC's - took me 21 minutes to complete these 2. Two Q's in that regard:

1.What is the ideal time i should be looking at to complete long RC's ?

2.Is it possible to get 2 long RC Q's one after the other in the actual test?

Thanks a lot.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:11 pm
Hi sudipt23,

When you say that you got 3 RC Qs, do you mean that you saw 3 different RC passages (with a set of questions for each) in the first 15 questions?

That's highly unlikely to occur on the Official GMAT, but I suppose that it's mathematically possible. The Randomizer can spit out questions in strange combinations sometimes (I had a Client once tell me that on Test Day his first 10 Quant questions were DS questions, but he kept his cool, remembered his training and scored 730). Typically, you'll see an RC passage within every 10 questions or so, with a combination of CR and SC questions separating each RC passage.

The definition of the word "long" is debatable when it comes to RC passages. Three to four paragraphs is normally considered "mid-length." Four big paragraphs or 5 paragraphs would be considered "long." One big paragraph or two small paragraphs would be considered "short." Remember though that a longer passage doesn't necessarily mean that the passage/questions will be that hard - it means that you'll probably need more time to initially read the passage.

Rich

by sudipt23 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:12 am
Hi Rich,

Yes, I did mean 3 different RC passages(with a set of Q's for each) in the 1st 15 Q's.

I just went through all my MGMAT tests and found this:

MGMAT 1: 3 RC passages in 1st 16 Q's
MGMAT 2: 3 RC passages back to back from Q 8 to 16.

I don't know if I am the only one encountering this with MGMAT or others have experienced it too, but it does make the test a tad bit more difficult to deal with.

Thanks for the advice :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:14 pm
Hi,

With 10 days to go, just focus on your core strengths.

Here's one thing which you can do. Appear for as many mock tests as possible during this week. And spend as much time as possible in analysing each of them. Typically if you spend 2 hours on a mock test, spend 6 hours in analysing your performance in the same. Find out ways by which you could have optimised your score. Try out these strategies in the next test. Keep working on it and you will hopefully start moving closer to your ideal score.

Also, write your target score on a piece of paper and stick the same in front of your study table. Whenever you feel anxious or low on confidence, just have a look at your test score and tell yourself that you are going to achieve this. Give this thought a lot of energy, forget the rest and give it your best shot.

Wish you all the best and do keep us updated on your progress.

www.manyagroup.com

by sudipt23 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:44 am
Hi guys,

Would really appreciate some help with pacing strategy and guessing on the verbal section.

At the moment, my average pacing and accuracy over 3 mock tests looks this:(am struggling to complete the last 11 Q's)

Q 01-10: 24 mins : 60%
Q 11-20: 26 mins : 50%
Q 21-30: 16 mins : 57%
Q 30-41: 10 mins : 63%

Thanks a lot.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:15 am
sudipt23 wrote:Hi guys,

Would really appreciate some help with pacing strategy and guessing on the verbal section.

At the moment, my average pacing and accuracy over 3 mock tests looks this:(am struggling to complete the last 11 Q's)

Q 01-10: 24 mins : 60%
Q 11-20: 26 mins : 50%
Q 21-30: 16 mins : 57%
Q 30-41: 10 mins : 63%

Thanks a lot.
I suggest that you use the following Milestone Charts to keep you on track:
We (at GMAT Prep Now) feel that these times are easily remembered so you can quickly jot them on your noteboard on test day.

This (and optimal guessing strategies) is covered in our free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:46 am
Hi sudipt23,

You're broken down your Verbal section into "sets" of questions, but you might need to be a bit more specific. Your pacing problem might be due to a specific question type (or sub-category within a type), so some deeper analysis would probably be beneficial.

Most SCs are meant to be answered in 60-90 seconds.
Most CRs are meant to be answered in about 2 minutes.

On your last CAT, how many times did you spend MORE than the recommended time on SCs and CRs?

If you can determine WHY you're spending that extra time, then you might be able to make some adjustments to how you work through those questions, speed up a bit and fix your overall pacing problem.

Rich

by sudipt23 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:28 am
Hi Rich,

Appreciate that advice.

Just combed through my MGMAT results and found that I was taking an average of 2:22 mins per wrong SC comparison question. Along with an accuracy of only 20% -so that's obviously an area am struggling and wasting time in.

Then there is the bold-faced question in CR where I am taking an extra 1 min on wrong Q's against right ones.

Don't know if its a lot to begin but I guess this will help me save at least 3-4 mins.

Thanks