Evalutaion--Journalist

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Evalutaion--Journalist

by amysky_0205 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:32 pm
Journalist: Well-known businessman Arnold Bergeron has long been popular in the state, and he has often talked about running for governor, but he has never run. However, we have just learned that Bergeron has fulfilled the financial disclosure requirement for candidacy by submitting a detailed list of his current financial holdings to the election commission. So, it is very likely that Bergeron will be a candidate for governor this year.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating the journalist's argument?

A.Has anybody else who has fulfilled the financial disclosure requirement for the upcoming election reported greater financial holdings than Bergeron?
B.Is submitting a list of holdings the only way to fulfill the election commission's financial disclosure requirements?
C.Did the information recently obtained by the journalists come directly from the election commission?
D.Have Bergeron's financial holdings increased in value in recent years ?
E.Had Bergeron also fulfilled the financial disclosure requirements for candidacy before any previous gubernatorial elections?

OA: E

can someone explain this in details? tks a lot!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nash.8087 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:59 pm
I trimmed my options to B and E. And ended up marking B.

When i look at the stimulus, it clearly mentions "Bergeron has fulfilled the financial disclosure requirement for candidacy". So I am wondering if answer to option B is clearly mentioned as NO in the stimulus itself. If it is mentioned then we can eliminate option B as well.

Thoughts?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by fulltapori » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:05 pm
I narrowed down to b and e but chose e.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by seamaster1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:12 am
I go for B.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:54 pm
Journalist: Well-know businessman Arnold Bergeron has long been popular in the state, and he has often talked about running for governor, but he has never run. However, we have just learned that Bergeron has fulfilled the financial disclosure requirement for candidacy by submitting a detailed list of his current financial holdings to the election commission. So, it is very likely that Bergeron will be a candidate for governor this year.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating the journalist's argument?

(A) Has anybody else who has fulfilled the financial disclosure requirement for the upcoming election reported greater financial holdings than Bergeron?
(B) Is submitting a list of holdings the only way to fulfill the election commission's financial disclosure requirements?
(C) Did the information recently obtained by the journalist come directly from the election commission?
(D) Have Bergeron's financial holdings increased in value in recent years?
(E) Had Bergeron also fulfilled the financial disclosure requirements for candidacy before any previous gubernatorial elections?
This CR links FULFILLING THE FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE REQUIREMENTS to RUNNING FOR GOVERNOR.
The correct answer must help us determine whether this link is valid.
In other words, the correct answer will either STRENGTHEN or WEAKEN the link between FULFILLING THE FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE REQUIREMENTS and RUNNING FOR GOVERNOR.

When the answer choices are phrased as questions, rephrase them as STATEMENTS.

Answer choice E, rephrased: Before previous gubernatorial elections, Bergeron had also fulfilled the financial disclosure requirements for candidacy.
Since Bergeron did not run for governor in these previous elections, this answer choice BREAKS THE LINK between fulfilling the financial disclosure requirements and running for governor.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3