Evaluation please.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Evaluation please.

by mygman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:16 pm
Thank you for your time to evaluate my profile.
Recently, I'm just so depressed to find that most of the applicants who got admitted to the top school are from consulting and top 100 companies around the globe. Mine is a very different from the others, and I want to know if there are any chances for me to get into the top B-School.
I'm hoping for GSB, Columbia, Haas, Tuck, Fuqua, Johnson, and Wharton.

Here is my profile:
25 Males Korean
GMAT: 720
GPA: 3.6 from LSU with acct. major. Early Graduate (3 years and a full time scholarship)
Work experience: English instructor at one of the biggest education companies in Korea for 2 years
Military Translator for 2 years. (when i'm done in March 2011)
Extracurricular activities : was a member of Beta Alpha Psi in college, participated ni xACT competition (Acct. competition held by PwC) in my undergraduate, about 8 months of community service under Gen. Sharp's "Good Neighbor Program"

Work Experience :
I worked in an Education sector in Korea. The reasons I worked in English education rather than financing or accounting area are two : 1. I had to support my family since my father passed away when I was in the college. Since working as an instructor proved a much higher salary (around $90,000) than most of the other sectors in Korea, I took the chance. 2. I had passion about education since I high school (My first year in States had such a big impact that I recognized that Education was the key to success).
The work involved teaching (with managing parents and students on daily basis), R&D work (for about 3months. included inventing and devoting materials to teachers and head office), and extra project (about 2 months. revised the online contents which targets an expected customer of 30,000 students in Korea). My performance was great that I significantly contributed attracting more students in a very competitive area. What I found during my work there is that education sector in Korea has a lot of potential as it proved to be beneficial even under the financial crisis. Yet, the managers of education industry showed relatively weak management skills to broaden their company or raise the quailty of the service.

My 2nd job is actually a duty in Korea, the military obligation. But, I'd like to use it as my strength because I'm working as an Air Force interpreter for high ranking officers (not generals though). This work involves translating during the meeting and assissting the officers publishing manuals that are necessary to Air Force. Also, during ROK/US Combined Exercises I could see how generals conduct meeting and how such a big organization flows from top to bottom. Also, as a volunteer in "Good Neighbor Program" conducted by General Sharp and Non-Commissioned Officers Association, I had a "Eureka" to help underprivileged kids thru education. (Taught orphans in orphanage and desinged programs to organize the group)

Subsequetly my ultimate goal is to establish international education company in East Asia. I also aim at helping underprivileged children thru online learning that only costs a minimum amount (Simply I can state "Achieving a social responsibility through quality education for underprivileged children)
However, I acknowledge that I need corporate managment skills. I thought MBA degree will be a strong springboard to enable me start my short term goal career as a consultant in global firm so that I can obtain strategic management skills and each different indsutry's benchmarking method.

I'm writing the essays that focuses on my unique experiences/goals, personal stories, and leadership/teamwork skills obtained from military. And I'm also emphasizing my analytical/business skills that I showed during my work in education sector.

What do you think of my profile?
Do I even stand a chance? Are there any suggestions you'd like to point out?

Thank you!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:47 am
I love your profile and I'm sorry that you would feel discouraged because you have a different background. While many applicants come from a finance or consulting firm, it is NOT always the case. I'd like to see you show more deliberation in your choices (not that you took the job for the money but that you took the job because you are interested in education). Your long term goals work well with what you have done thus far and also work with an MBA. The consistency is exactly what an Adcom would look for and I think it is a great career story.

Good luck!!
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mygman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:43 am
Thank you for such an encouragement.
I think my essays are being well crafted. I emphasized the passion about education and strong business mindsets that are not natural in my careers.
So would it be reasonable for me to target those "top-10" schools?

Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:32 am
Yes, I think it is reasonable to target a top tier school. There is nothing that I can readily see which would exclude you from a top school. However, keep in mind (as I know you will) that the top schools are very competitive and no one is guaranteed admission. Your grades and GMAT put you in the right "range" but you will also need fantastic recommendations if you want a shot at a top ten school. You might have better luck if you target a few that are consistently ranked 10-20 (these are still top top schools!). It all depends on how many schools you want to apply to (I usually suggest 4) and how much you feel you need to be accepted this year. If you know you want to go to school next year, pick one school which is "safer", two which are "realistic" and one which is a "reach"!

Best of luck!
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options