EVALUATION - MBA CANDIDACY

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

EVALUATION - MBA CANDIDACY

by drdevious » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:28 pm
MY PROFILE:

I am a 32 year old Male, US citizen, currently living in Pakistan where I completed my Medical Education in 2002 having received a M.B.B.S degree. After graduation I took some time off and established a private business venture dealing with Health care, Real estate and Stock Investments. In 2006, after establishing the venture, I decided to resume my postgraduate medical education. I have been working in a tertiary care hospital in Pakistan for the last 3 years. My clinical experience has been quite diverse. I have done rotations in Critical Care Medicine which includes Nephrology, Cardiology and Internal Medicine. In addition, I have spent a year and a half in Dermatology.

Having obtained my basic medical education and training, I am interested in expanding and diversifying my career options. I'm interested in pursuing a MBA so I can enter the Health care, Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology industry.

In my medical school we were evaluated by an annual exam in which 50% was Passing. At the end of the year we would receive a mark sheet with marks for each subject. We don't really have or follow a GPA system.

I have just started along the MBA route and haven't given the GMAT yet.

Work experience has been my private business venture and 3 years postgraduate training in Medicine. I don't have “corporate” experience.

I am a member of various medical societies and have participated in medical conferences in Europe and South Asia.

I have 3 research publications under my belt.

I have participated in numerous volunteer and community activities – Red Cross, Earthquake relief and Social Welfare.

Extracurricular activities include weightlifting, computers and movies.

I have always been attracted to the Business side of the Health care sector so thats why I'm making the change from clinical medicine.

I would like an honest opinion of my candidacy and what systematic and concrete steps should I take to get into a good program.

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:42 am
Dear drdevious,

It is not a negative that your experience is outside "corporate" experience and might actually work to your advantage. It will be imperative for you to make a compelling, thoughtful case for why you want an MBA and how it makes sense for your career path. I also think it will be important for you to explain your academic transcript and the difference in grading system so the admissions committee has a better idea on how you measure up against the rest of the applicant pool. You might consider getting an evaluation from a credentialing service like World Evaluation Services just so you can provide a third party assessment to lend validity to your explanation.

As for as other potential weaknesses, it is hard to say as your profile is incomplete without your GMAT score and you did not post anything regarding recommendations. Assuming you score well and have glowing recommendations, I think you will be a competitive candidate.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by drdevious » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:12 pm
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the reply and advise. Regarding the Letters of Recommendation would it be suitable to get them from clinical professors with whom I have worked with?

In your reply you mentioned having a valid reason for wanting an MBA keeping career goals in mind. Below I have an UPDATED RESPONSE.

REASON FOR MBA:

1- Have always been interested in Business and Entrepreneurship.
2- Enhance my educational credentials in addition to my medical education and training.
3- Develop a sound base in Economics, Finance, Marketing, Accounting and other business related subjects. This will help in expanding my private venture.
4- Develop expertise, proficiency and skills that will help in future endeavors.
5- Have access to academic scholars, business leaders, resources and social network that an MBA provides. Be a part of the “experience.”
6- Have the option of entering the Health care, Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology industry.

WORK EXPERIENCE:

Having an entrepreneurial drive and interest in starting a business of my own, after medical school I took some time off and established a private business venture under the name of “The House of NAN.” It deals with Health care, Real estate and Stock Investments. I own and operate a private dialysis clinic. The real estate arm of my venture deals with private acquisition of property. I also actively follow and trade in the stock market.

In 2006, after establishing the venture, I decided to resume my postgraduate medical education. I have been working in a major tertiary care hospital in Pakistan for the last 3 years. My clinical experience has been quite diverse. I have completed a one year internship as a House Physician rotating in specialties such as Nephrology, Cardiology, Internal Medicine and Dermatology. Subsequently, I spent an additional year rotating through three sub specialties of Internal Medicine. I have a particular interest in Dermatology where I spent a further year in training.

POST MBA PLANS:

I have many ideas and future plans POST MBA and would be able to explain them in detail if Admissions Committee were to ask through essay or interview.

I am giving the GMAT in January. If all goes well and I can get + 700 score how would you rate my MBA candidacy for schools like Chicago and Columbia granted essays are good and I perform well in interviews.

Thank you for your time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:34 pm
Dear drdevious,

Your letters of rec should be from those that can evaluate you in a professional capacity. If that means it is your clinical professors, then you should ask them. If you do score in the 700s, I think you have a shot at any MBA program.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me