Eval for 720/3.95 with investment banking and private equity

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey all,

I'm currently a first year private equity associate (will be "promoted" to second year in July) looking at admissions to top business schools. Here's my profile:

-3.95 GPA in Finance from strong state school (think UVA, Michigan, Berkeley, Texas, UNC etc.)
-720 GMAT (47Q, 42V)
-Two years investment banking at one of Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley or JP Morgan (with work on high-profile M&A deals and IPOs)
-Two years (at time of enrollment) as a private equity associate at a medium-sized private equity firm
-Letters of rec from top school alumni from senior bankers and investment professionals at both places I've worked
-A couple of decent, not great leadership roles in various clubs on campus (executive board and various committees)
-Spend some time working at a non profit on the weekends
-Various awards and scholarships for academic achievements during college

Thanks!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by BankHaven » Wed May 21, 2014 10:19 am
Just to add some more color, the main thing I'm wondering is how to differentiate myself amongst the masses of IBD/PE candidates that apply every year. I know my GPA is in the right range, but I'm worried that my GMAT (especially the quant) is low, especially for the bucket I'm competing for. I want to continue working in private equity and everything I've seen suggests that it's easiest to go back out of Harvard, Stanford and Wharton and even then it's an uphill battle. Any suggestions for what to emphasize in apps to show how I'm not just a finance drone?