Error Log

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Error Log

by hamant.maini » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:33 pm
Dear all,

After reading many posts, I understand an essential strategy to do well on the GMAT is to log errors, identify areas for development and drill those concepts.

If you have prepared a certain error log, would you mind sharing that? I have seen some templates focused on OG but I guess given the extent of resources we use these day (i.e. different materials from various test prep providers) it would be useful to have a more generic one.

I wish to see if someone has a populated error log to hand, which obviously gives some perspective. However, I will start setting up my log, which in due course I will share.

Good luck to all.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:28 am
Check out the resources found here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-error-log
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by hamant.maini » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:18 am
Thanks, David.

Indeed, I have seen that.

I am looking to setup a more generalized version such that applicable across various test prep providers.

If populated already with errors that someone has done historically, would prove more efficient in the process.

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:58 pm
Hi hamant.maini,

We wrote an article on how to get started with an error log earlier this year. You can check it out here: https://bit.ly/1Q4NY4O

Happy to elaborate further if you'd like.

Best of luck!
Rich

by hamant.maini » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:08 am
Thanks for sharing this. Helpful.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:11 pm
You should also check out Vivian's error log template, which is excellent: https://www.beatthegmat.com/assistance-p ... tml#746136

(It's about 3/4 of the way down the page.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:39 pm
Hi hamant.maini,

How long have you been studying so far? I ask because while an error log is a really useful tool (and one that you should absolutely plan to use), the tool is likely to become more precise the more you study overall.

If you are just starting out, then the errors that you would recognize would be the obvious ones (made a silly mistake, misread the question, didn't know the formula/rule, etc.). As you learn more about the GMAT, the types of questions and the common patterns involved, your error log would become more precise and you'd have a much better understanding of the *real* issues in how you study.

You can certainly incorporate an error log right from the get-go, but you'll probably want to revisit the earlier material from your studies (at a later time), so that you can redefine any issues that are still giving you trouble.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]