Employment update after Interview Stage

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Employment update after Interview Stage

by dan_29 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:12 am
Hi,

I have been self employed for a while. I applied to few schools and now waiting for final admit decision from 3 of them.
Last edited by dan_29 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:18 pm
Dan_29:
Thanks for your question. Many candidates find their work or personal stories change between the time when they submit their application and the decision time of the Admissions Committee. In your case, with the decision less than a month away, I feel like you have several options.
1) You do not mention if you have already interviewed with each school. Some candidates use the interview as a casual forum to update the Admissions Committee of these type of changes. The most notable change is your formation of a new business venture (with land purchase, client acquisition, etc.) Without knowing more, I can tell you that if I were you I would expect them to ask why you are doing this if you expect to go to school in nine months' time?!?! Having a solid explanation for this will be key.
2) If you have already interviewed, you may want to write a short paragraph explaining the significant changes (especially new business contact info, title, reporting structure, etc.) and email this to the schools. A short intro sentence stating that you wanted to bring your information up to date is probably all that is needed.
3) As for the verification issues, I hope that you supplied the Admissions Committee with the appropriate contact information for various people when you applied. This probably will not be an issue, but if they can avoid talking to the hostile business partner, I am feeling like it would preferable.
Hope this helps,
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process