EMBA in top tier school vs FT MBA in not that top school

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all,

I have been studying for the GMAT for almost a year now, and I can't do better than 600... I am a psychologist, and not native speaker, so it is hard... I have great work experience, and it it so sad that the GMAT is my big problem to apply to the best schools. But, being realistic, I need to decide when to apply, I could keep on studying forever and not sure if I will really improve more... So, I have been looking into class profiles of part time and EMBAs, and of course, they have a lower GMAT average score. My question is, what is better? To have an executive or part time MBA from a top school, or just apply to a lower level school for a full time MBA? I have heard that EMBAs do not have a very good reputation, but not sure about the balance of this decision.

If anybody has tips or ideas about how to give that jump on my GMAT score, I would be thankful for the rest of my life!!

Thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by MaximusMB » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:53 am
Hi,

I know the feeling. As a non-English native it really annoys me how we are "forced" to do a test where the majority is based on our ability to evaluate another language than our own. Hell, why don't all English natives do the same in French or Spanish..;)

But away with the bad feelings and in with constructive thinking.

After going through couple of Kaplan books and doing some tests, I soon discovered that I needed to learn some frameworks to get a score I wanted. You really need months to study sentence structuring and improving reading skills starting from scratch. So I checked out some alternatives.

After purchasing the GMAT Pill course I feel I have found it. I have not yet taken a test, so I dont know how much it has helped. But I feel I have got the general framework/strategy in order to atleast score better than earlier. So a tip there.

Moreover, remember that European are putting less emphasis on GMAT then the US. Moreover, if you represent a country with a low proportion of applicants to a US program I would stand a good chance with a GMAT "only" within the 80 percentile.

For my part I think I will choose a European B-School. First of all because Europe are providing alternatives to the top US programs. Emplyment issues. And, sadly, the fact mentioned above. I have a feeling the EU schools are looking more pragmatic at the resume, and not constantly saying "Well, but this GMAT score....".

Just a couple of thoughts! Good luck