Educational background - enough quant for an MBA?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi

I am aiming for a top 15 MBA program in fall 2011 and have a few questions regarding my educational (quantitative) background.

I have a BSc in business and communication and currently work in a Big4 consulting firm, as a financial advisor (3 years work experience).

Before going to college, I wanted to work within communication, hence my choice of BSc program. My BSc had little or no quantitative courses (the program focused on communication and "soft" business theories). But while I was studying, I realized that this was not the field for me, I wanted to "work with numbers" did lots of networking which finally got me a great job in a top talent program for a Big4 company after finishing my BSc.

My question is: How will the admission comitee evaluate my educational background regarding my limited quantitave courses from my BSc? Even though my 3 years of work experience is highly quantitative and analytical? I believe a strong GMAT score (especially on the quant section) will be helpful, but is it enough?

I have thought about taking some quant classes (e.g statistics, econometrics) at the university in my home town to boost my educational part of my CV, but would very much like to hear your opinioin regarding this.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Thu May 06, 2010 2:38 pm
Most top programs will want you to have taken calculus before you matriculate and you also correctly identify statistics as a good course to take (although not required, you will have to take stats in b-school, so it's a good idea to have already had it when you show up). Another way you can demonstrate your quant skills, of course is through the GMAT. If you can get a good Quant split on your GMAT score, it will help convince the committee you have the math chops to handle b-school. The calculus, however may be unavoidable if you want them to take you seriously. Hope this helps.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by JimmyQ » Thu May 27, 2010 1:43 pm
Thanks a lot for your advice, Bryant.

I have been in touch with my university, and calculus and statistics classes start up in August where the final exam is in late December. My plan is to apply for round 1 which for schools are already in October/November. At this time I am afraid that I won't have any results from the classes to emphasize in my application, just the fact that I am attending calculus and statistics classes weekly.

As I previously mentioned, I lack quantitave courses from my BSc. Do you recommend me to wait untill round 2 when my results will be available? Or will the fact that I am taking quant classes be valuable enough for the ad.com?

Thanks,

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by aveekguha » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:20 am
One thing to add -- perception might help you from an admissions director perspective. People see Big 4 on your resume and they assume you have a certain business training/skill set already. So I think the quant primer is more for you vs. external perception, in my view. That being said if you think you need it, generally schools have some primers that you can take or there are some online options available. If you are not following a quant related career, then it may not be as critical.

Good Luck!
Aveek Guha, President, www.mbadaycamp.com

by JimmyQ » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:47 am
Great thoughts, aveekguha!

I have decided that I first will take the GMAT at and then decide if I need more quant.

Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:32 pm
Keep in mind that one of the reasons you are applying to business school is to improve your quantitative abilities. I was an Art History major and then worked in marketing (no heavy quant background). I had never taken a statistics course. I applied (and attended) Booth which is known as a "quant" school. After all, I had no quant background so I thought it made sense to learn from the best and that is what I wrote in my essays!!

However, I do agree with Bryan that you do need to prove that you have the raw brain power to handle the work, but, if you can demonstrate that you are bright, it doesn't matter if you've taken certain courses. You will have plenty of opportunties to take statistics in business school and, you'll be able to pick up the limited amount of calculus that is necessary (first derivatives are about all you need to know!).

Hope this helps!
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options