Driver's License

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Driver's License

by apoorva.rattan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:47 am
A driver's license in one country is not always enough to enable a person to drive in another country legally.

A. A driver's license in one country is not always enough to enable a person to drive in another country legally.
B. It is not always enough to have a driver's license in one country in order to drive in another country legally.
C. It is not always enough to have a driver's license in one country for driving in another country legally.
D. Having a driver's license in one country, it is not always enough in order to drive in another country legally.
E. A driver's license in one country is not always enough for driving in another country legally.

Source: Grockit

OA: A

My question: Can someone explain the reason for A being the right answer ? I chose A over E because it *sounded* right. (You can say it was a guess)

Also, I would also like to know about the difference in usage between 'enough to' vs 'enough for'.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by vishugogo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:55 am
In B C and D the issue is "IT"

Firstly is has no antecedent and secondly when used as a subject the sentence becomes indirect and longer.

between A and E

A expresses meaning more clearly i.e.the license enables to drive

E does not express this thing

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by apoorva.rattan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:06 am
Umm.. You say that "A expresses meaning more clearly i.e.the license enables to drive "... but doesn't the sentence imply the exact opposite - that a driver's license is not enough ?

Followed by:6 members

by vishugogo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:23 am
Err...yes I made a typo mistake

:)

But I think you have got the main idea

Followed by:2 members

by melguy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:25 pm
A. A driver's license in one country is not always enough to enable a person to drive in another country legally.

We need a subject e.g. a person in the sentence

E. A driver's license in one country is not always enough for driving in another country legally.

The subject is missing here (a driver / person needs to be mentioned in the passage)