Dreaming of London Business School

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Dreaming of London Business School

by Pediasure » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:11 pm
Friends,

I took my GMAT a couple of days ago and scored 720 (Q:49, V:40). I am planning to target the world's top 10 schools. I have 9 years of work experience with close to 7 years as a Business Analyst with an Indian IT company. I have been living and working in the US for over 5 years now. I am a Project Management Professional (PMP) [www.pmi.org] and a Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) [www.theiiba.org]. Extra curriculars are not bad with me participating in many community services like "Feed the homeless" programs. I have Project leadership experience at work but not in any community activities, in which I have mostly been a team member or at the most a co-ordinator. The weakest spot in my armour is my BTech score of 68% (it is a little over 9 years since I graduated).

What do you think of my profile ? Will my dream of graduating with an MBA from the top 10 come true?

Regards,
P

by kedarwilltarget800 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:09 am
New to prep world however my best wishes for your applications!!! God will give returns of the efforts you put... :-)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bbakang » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:10 am
I'm not an expert, but your profile looks respectable and your gmat score is fine...

by dumbhead » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:14 pm
Pediasure - Congrats on 720 score.

Why do you think 68% would be a limitation for your admissions? I hope we hear some responses here to get a feel for Btech % and the admission to top 10 schools.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:13 am
Pediasure wrote:Friends,

I took my GMAT a couple of days ago and scored 720 (Q:49, V:40). I am planning to target the world's top 10 schools. I have 9 years of work experience with close to 7 years as a Business Analyst with an Indian IT company. I have been living and working in the US for over 5 years now. I am a Project Management Professional (PMP) [www.pmi.org] and a Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) [www.theiiba.org]. Extra curriculars are not bad with me participating in many community services like "Feed the homeless" programs. I have Project leadership experience at work but not in any community activities, in which I have mostly been a team member or at the most a co-ordinator. The weakest spot in my armour is my BTech score of 68% (it is a little over 9 years since I graduated).

What do you think of my profile ? Will my dream of graduating with an MBA from the top 10 come true?

Regards,
P
I would say that you've definitely got a shot- you have a good GMAT score that has a good balance between math and verbal, you have the work experience, and some leadership experience. What I would suggest now is buying a book about writing entrance essays so you need to spin your story in a favorable way. You also have to show why you would be a good fit for that school and why that school is a good fit for you. Every school has its strengths and you need to show that you are looking for what that school offers.

Also, recommendations are very important so it depends on this point as well.

Finally, your chances increase when you apply to schools that have fewer applicants like you. Therefore, you might do well to apply to schools like INSEAD in France.

Hope that helps a bit
Dan
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

by Pediasure » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:55 am
Thank You friends. I don't feel very confident about the 68% because it is an average score, I stand somewhere in the middle of the class. There are a couple of subjects, in which I have done pretty badly - can't blame anything/anyone else other than my age and immaturity. Wish I knew then what I know now. That was almost a decade ago...I hope my GMAT score and work experience eclipse the mediocre undergrad performance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:50 pm
Great discussion! Moving this post to the 'Research MBA Programs' forum.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school