Doubt-Expert Reply Needed

This topic has expert replies
User avatar
Legendary Member
Posts: 1132
Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Location: India
Thanked: 64 times
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

Doubt-Expert Reply Needed

by harsh.champ » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:01 pm
(Source:BTG Practice Questions)
A majority of observers interviewed see the Middle East as unstable at present but that it will, or could, become less volatile in the future.

A)that it will, or could,
B)that it would, or could,
C)it will be or could
D)believe that it will be or could
E)think the Middle East would or could

The OA is D.

The explanation is as follows:-
[spoiler]The main issue here is parallel structure.
(D) adds the necessary verb to parallel "see" and uses the correct tense.

(A), (B), and (C) all share the same parallel structure problem: what follows "but" has to be parallel to something that precedes it, but "that it will or could" isn't parallel to either "see" or "unstable" (E) needlessly repeats "Middle East"; also, "would" is incorrect.[/spoiler]


My question is - Why are we considering different verb tense "will" and "could".Why using "would" is incorrect but using "could" is right?
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

User avatar
Legendary Member
Posts: 1309
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Location: India
Thanked: 310 times
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:06 pm
IMO D
would is used for hypothetical cases..
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
krazyjenius@gmail.com

Cans!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 21
Joined: 18 Oct 2010

by kareem.firoz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:19 pm
D)believe that it will be or could, become

Why is 'be' required here? Wouldn't the 'become' that follows 'could' (in the original sentence) serve the purpose?

User avatar
Legendary Member
Posts: 1132
Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Location: India
Thanked: 64 times
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:33 am
kareem.firoz wrote:D)believe that it will be or could, become

Why is 'be' required here? Wouldn't the 'become' that follows 'could' (in the original sentence) serve the purpose?
I am also doubtful about the will 'be'.

Expert Help needed!!
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

Legendary Member
Posts: 2789
Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Location: Chennai, India
Thanked: 206 times
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:38 am
harsh.champ wrote:(Source:BTG Practice Questions)
A majority of observers interviewed see the Middle East as unstable at present but that it will, or could, become less volatile in the future.

A)that it will, or could,
B)that it would, or could,
C)it will be or could
D)believe that it will be or could
E)think the Middle East would or could

The OA is D.

The explanation is as follows:-
[spoiler]The main issue here is parallel structure.
(D) adds the necessary verb to parallel "see" and uses the correct tense.

(A), (B), and (C) all share the same parallel structure problem: what follows "but" has to be parallel to something that precedes it, but "that it will or could" isn't parallel to either "see" or "unstable" (E) needlessly repeats "Middle East"; also, "would" is incorrect.[/spoiler]


My question is - Why are we considering different verb tense "will" and "could".Why using "would" is incorrect but using "could" is right?
Hi harsh.champ,

Please underline/differentiate the portion of the question under study.
I dont think your post will keep any reader interested.
Please edit the post and underline the portion on focus!

-GK

Legendary Member
Posts: 627
Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Thanked: 4 times
Followed by:1 members

by mankey » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:38 am
From where can one find BTG Practice Questions?

Mankey

User avatar
Legendary Member
Posts: 1132
Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Location: India
Thanked: 64 times
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:36 am
Go to magoosh.com.
GMAT BTG Practice Questions can be found there.
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

User avatar
Legendary Member
Posts: 1132
Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Location: India
Thanked: 64 times
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:38 am
GmatKiss wrote:
harsh.champ wrote:(Source:BTG Practice Questions)
A majority of observers interviewed see the Middle East as unstable at present but that it will, or could, become less volatile in the future.

A)that it will, or could,
B)that it would, or could,
C)it will be or could
D)believe that it will be or could
E)think the Middle East would or could

The OA is D.

The explanation is as follows:-
[spoiler]The main issue here is parallel structure.
(D) adds the necessary verb to parallel "see" and uses the correct tense.

(A), (B), and (C) all share the same parallel structure problem: what follows "but" has to be parallel to something that precedes it, but "that it will or could" isn't parallel to either "see" or "unstable" (E) needlessly repeats "Middle East"; also, "would" is incorrect.[/spoiler]


My question is - Why are we considering different verb tense "will" and "could".Why using "would" is incorrect but using "could" is right?
Hi harsh.champ,

Please underline/differentiate the portion of the question under study.
I dont think your post will keep any reader interested.
Please edit the post and underline the portion on focus!

-GK
The spoiler contains my doubt.
Sorry if it was not clear.
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)



Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

Legendary Member
Posts: 627
Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Thanked: 4 times
Followed by:1 members

by mankey » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:14 am
On magoosh.com, is it available for free or for a price? If available free, could someone please provide me the link. Will really appreciate help. (I tried but could not find the link).

Thanks
Mankey

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 641
Joined: 22 Jul 2009
Location: Madison, WI
Thanked: 162 times
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:31 am
harsh.champ wrote:(Source:BTG Practice Questions)
A majority of observers interviewed see the Middle East as unstable at present but that it will, or could, become less volatile in the future.

A)that it will, or could,
B)that it would, or could,
C)it will be or could
D)believe that it will be or could
E)think the Middle East would or could

The OA is D.

The explanation is as follows:-
[spoiler]The main issue here is parallel structure.
(D) adds the necessary verb to parallel "see" and uses the correct tense.

(A), (B), and (C) all share the same parallel structure problem: what follows "but" has to be parallel to something that precedes it, but "that it will or could" isn't parallel to either "see" or "unstable" (E) needlessly repeats "Middle East"; also, "would" is incorrect.[/spoiler]


My question is - Why are we considering different verb tense "will" and "could".Why using "would" is incorrect but using "could" is right?
There is nothing naughty about using more than one verb tense in a sentence (I have been busy, so I will go shopping tomorrow instead), so the future "will" and present "could" can coexist.

"Would" as a modal verb (as opposed to a past tense of "will") expresses hypothetical preference/interest, where "could" expresses potential. A region cannot have a preference (though obviously the people there can).

Legendary Member
Posts: 2789
Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Location: Chennai, India
Thanked: 206 times
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:07 am
IMO: D,

A majority of observers interviewed see the Middle East as unstable at present but believe that it will be or could become less volatile in the future.

see is for the current state.
believe is for the future state (prediction)

SEE and BELIEVE are not redundant.

Legendary Member
Posts: 627
Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Thanked: 4 times
Followed by:1 members

by mankey » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:21 am
On magoosh.com, is it (BTG Practice Questions) available for free or for a price? If available free, could someone please provide me the link. Will really appreciate help. (I tried but could not find the link).

Thanks
Mankey

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 19
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Location: India

by rajeevrks27 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:32 am
+1D
good one
Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye...till then KEEP PRACTISING...