• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

doubt CR 7

This topic has 3 expert replies and 2 member replies

doubt CR 7

Post
Diomedes Motors has just decided to start using Rapilux Tires on most models of its new cars. The tires cost the same as the previous tires, and the change in tires will not change the sticker price of any car, nor will it change the profit on the sale of any particular car. Nevertheless, the CEO of Diomedes Motors expects this change in tires to increase Diomedes' profits in the coming year.


Which of the following, if true, provides the best reason for the expectation?
A.The new Rapilux Tires facilitate loading the new cars onto the trucks that deliver them to the Diomedes showroom.

B.The change to Rapilux Tires in most Diomedes models moves those models to the highest safety rating category; several national consumer advocacy groups give focused advertising to cars in this category.

C.Since Diomedes has replaced the tires on only some of its models, it can continue to accommodate car buyers who prefer the older tire type.

D.Few car buyers are likely to decide against buying a Diomedes Motors model simply because it now comes with Rapilux Tires.

E.Some of the tires previously used on these particular Diomedes models are being phased out by those tire manufacturers, and would have to be replaced anyway, and no tire that would fit these Diomedes Models is any cheaper than the Rapilux Tires chosen


my doubt: To me both B and D seem viable. how do i accept one and reject other?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
aditya8062 wrote:
Diomedes Motors has just decided to start using Rapilux Tires on most models of its new cars. The tires cost the same as the previous tires, and the change in tires will not change the sticker price of any car, nor will it change the profit on the sale of any particular car. Nevertheless, the CEO of Diomedes Motors expects this change in tires to increase Diomedes' profits in the coming year.


Which of the following, if true, provides the best reason for the expectation?
A.The new Rapilux Tires facilitate loading the new cars onto the trucks that deliver them to the Diomedes showroom.

B.The change to Rapilux Tires in most Diomedes models moves those models to the highest safety rating category; several national consumer advocacy groups give focused advertising to cars in this category.

C.Since Diomedes has replaced the tires on only some of its models, it can continue to accommodate car buyers who prefer the older tire type.

D.Few car buyers are likely to decide against buying a Diomedes Motors model simply because it now comes with Rapilux Tires.

E.Some of the tires previously used on these particular Diomedes models are being phased out by those tire manufacturers, and would have to be replaced anyway, and no tire that would fit these Diomedes Models is any cheaper than the Rapilux Tires chosen


my doubt: To me both B and D seem viable. how do i accept one and reject other?
To support the conclusion that profits will INCREASE, the correct answer choice must show how Rapllux tires are BETTER than the previous tires.
B: The change to Rapilux Tires in most Diomedes models moves those models to the highest safety rating category; several national consumer advocacy groups give focused advertising to cars in this category.
This answer choice shows how Rapilux tires are better then the previous tires.
Hold onto B.
D: Few car buyers are likely to decide against buying a Diomedes Motors model simply because it now comes with Rapilux Tires.
This answer choice does NOT show how Rapilux tires are better than the previous tires.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is B.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Legendary Member Default Avatar
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Posted:
774 messages
Followed by:
14 members
Upvotes:
46
Post
Thanks Guru for your reply

kindly tell me the following

D says: Few car buyers are likely to decide against buying a Diomedes Motors model simply because it now comes with Rapilux Tires.---->is this statement not implying that NOW (because the tires have been changed) MORE people are going to buy this model?

will it be wrong to say that the fact that "change of tires" has brought the change in the perception of buyers does prove that there is some added advantage?

Thanks

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
aditya8062 wrote:
Thanks Guru for your reply

kindly tell me the following

D says: Few car buyers are likely to decide against buying a Diomedes Motors model simply because it now comes with Rapilux Tires.---->is this statement not implying that NOW (because the tires have been changed) MORE people are going to buy this model?

will it be wrong to say that the fact that "change of tires" has brought the change in the perception of buyers does prove that there is some added advantage?

Thanks
D implies only that the change in tires will not deter people from buying Diomedes cars; it does NOT imply that the change in tires will INDUCE people to buy Diomedes cars.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Joined
22 Jun 2016
Posted:
13 messages
Upvotes:
1
Facebook Logo
Post
I am confused btw A and B. How is B any better than A? e.g. earlier company might be using a machine to load the vehicles into trucks and that cost has now been eliminated which will lead to increased profits. Please clarify. Thanks!

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
Paras_0111 wrote:
I am confused btw A and B. How is B any better than A? e.g. earlier company might be using a machine to load the vehicles into trucks and that cost has now been eliminated which will lead to increased profits. Please clarify. Thanks!
It is stated as a PREMISE that usage of the new tires will NOT change the profit on the sale of any particular car.
Answer choice A -- which suggests that usage of the new tires might reduce transportation costs -- attempts to refute this premise.
A premise is a FACT.
It cannot be refuted.
Eliminate any answer choice that attempts to refute a premise.
Eliminate A.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider

Top First Responders*

1 Jay@ManhattanReview 66 first replies
2 fskilnik@GMATH 50 first replies
3 Brent@GMATPrepNow 49 first replies
4 GMATGuruNY 32 first replies
5 Rich.C@EMPOWERgma... 26 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description fskilnik@GMATH

GMATH Teacher

109 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

97 posts
3 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

94 posts
4 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

83 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

78 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts