Doing 750-800 - what to look out for on test day?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi all,

First of all, thank you for all your help so far on this forum. It has been integral in my study process.
I have 10 days to go until test day (by this point need to get it over with, especially given that I want to apply to R1 for several schools!).

I'm in exam-simulation mode now, and I've been pretty consistently scoring ~750+ lately, from what I remember:
- GMATPrep #1 (leaving #2 for this weekend) - 770
- Manhattan Gmat 6 tests (around two 720-740 and several 760+, and a random 680...)
- Princeton review free test (720)
- Kaplan free test (720)
- Kaplan Premier CD tests (720, then 750+ for three of them)

So it seems like I *may* be expecting from 720-770, depending on how nervous/lucky I get.

Questions below:
1. My question is, is there anything I should look out for on test day? I have taken the recent tests, including GMAT prep, in exam setting with the full allotted time.
2. In Math, I got one question wrong at around #8 and then a few scattered and then like 4 out of 6 wrong for the last questions. Clearly I ran out of time and panicked a little. However, this does not seem to have affected my score that much (total 8 questions wrong) - which I guess is an okay strategy? i.e. I can definitely put less time into the earlier questions, which I obsessively checked. Anyone have thoughts?
3. In Verbal, I got 5 questions wrong, sort of scattered throughout questions. I also had around 10 minutes left which is probably a bad practice - did you guys evenly time yourself throughout? I guess the different from math is that you really wouldn't reach very difficult questions at end that require much time.
4. Stupid question - do you bring your own pencils? Where do you put water (if you want to take a sip during breaks)? Do you guys have a practice of writing out a grid (A-->E) for each question prior?

Overall, just hoping I perform as I expect, but any pointers appreciated!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:7 members

by grockit_andrea » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:05 pm
Answers to some of your questions can be found in the GMAT bulletin at MBA.com. I can't seem to get the site to load right now, so here's a link to the bulletin at an outside site: https://www.scribd.com/doc/35101459/GMAT ... 10-v11-WEB. See "What to Expect on Test Day" for a full explanation of the test day experience.
You won't need or be able to use pencils, because all of your scratchwork will be done on wipe-off memo boards using dry-erase markers. Those will be issued to you by the proctor. When your noteboard is full, you'll have to raise your hand and request a new one; don't forget to factor that interruption into your timing. You can't bring water into the testing room, but you can leave it in your locker for the breaks, and you can't write on your memo board until the first question appears on your screen, which makes it impractical to try to write out a grid before starting the test. The Bulletin will explain all of this and more. Congrats on your high practice test scores, and good luck on test day!
Andrea A.
Grockit Tutor
https://www.grockit.com