Does this sound like the right study material and schedule?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,

I just bought the 10 Manhattan GMAT books (5th edition) and also plan on getting the Official Guide. Moreover, I am going to use the Manhattan 6 online practice tests. However, I don't feel like this is enough study material. Can someone please recommend anything else? I'm not looking for a dumbed down version of the concepts. Similar to most of you, my goal is to score 700+ and I'm not particularly excited about retaking the exam (mostly the price is a deterrent). As for my schedule, I plan to study for about 2 more months (4-5 hours per day and a practice test every Saturday). Does this sound like a good recipe for success or should I add something? (just fyi I'm not a good test-taker, because of stress and anxiety).

Please let me know. Thank You!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:51 am
Your study plan will be significantly affected by your current performance level. Have you taken a diagnostic test yet? If so, what was your baseline score? The MGMAT guides + OG will be sufficient if you've already mastered the basics.

Also, make sure that you are setting a realistic schedule for yourself. 4-5 hours per day is a major time commitment, and you don't want to burn yourself out before the exam.

Lastly, only take practice tests when you feel you've made significant progress. Taking the tests won't actually help your score. Tests will help build your stamina, but you won't learn new material. Instead, you could spend that time studying. I recommend that you start off by taking a test every other week or so, and then take more in the last few weeks before your exam.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:48 am
Hey pulchritudinous,

To help you stay on track and ensure that you cover all of the necessary concepts, you might consider signing up for BTG's free Study Guide: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pulchritudinous » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:29 pm
NextGreatLeader wrote:Your study plan will be significantly affected by your current performance level. Have you taken a diagnostic test yet? If so, what was your baseline score? The MGMAT guides + OG will be sufficient if you've already mastered the basics.

Also, make sure that you are setting a realistic schedule for yourself. 4-5 hours per day is a major time commitment, and you don't want to burn yourself out before the exam.

Lastly, only take practice tests when you feel you've made significant progress. Taking the tests won't actually help your score. Tests will help build your stamina, but you won't learn new material. Instead, you could spend that time studying. I recommend that you start off by taking a test every other week or so, and then take more in the last few weeks before your exam.
I took the first MGMAT practice test and got a 630 with a terrible IR score. I don't know, if I should take this seriously though. I was told that the Manhattan tests are much easier than the real thing. Also, I just finished school and am not working, so 4-5 hours really isn't much. I'd go for 6-8, but I'm really lazy hehe