do schools care about AWA?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

do schools care about AWA?

by qwe12 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:44 pm
do schools care about the AWA section at all? is it true that they couldnt care less if you scored a 5 or a 6, as long as it is higher than a 5?

GMAT Instructor
GMAT Score:770

by OliverTPR » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:20 am
I can't attest to every school out there, but the general consensus is that schools do not really care. I have personal experience with SMU and UT Austin's respective B-schools, and in both cases an admissions officer told me point-blank they do not even LOOK at the score.

Hopefully someone can back me up on this from other schools, but this is pretty much what I have heard from various different second-hand sources as well.
Oliver Pope
GMAT Trainer
The Princeton Review

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by The Duke » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:57 am
an AWA is simply a score to let a B-School know you can write also & articulate something in words.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by frank1 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:37 pm
One friend of mine was saying that
many universities say you need atleast .... or above (for eg may be 4.5+) to be eligible for apply in our university

is that true?

do they put such constraints.....

thanks
GMAT score is equally counted as your GPA and 78 clicks can change you life.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:18 am
frank1 wrote:One friend of mine was saying that
many universities say you need atleast .... or above (for eg may be 4.5+) to be eligible for apply in our university

is that true?

do they put such constraints.....

thanks
1) Most schools just want to know that you're not a bad writer so you should aim for a 4.5 or higher
2) An admissions director from Cambridge told me that they DO read the essays. However, it really does vary from school to school. Why not write the schools you're thinking of applying to? If you do, I'd be curious to hear what they say.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT