Do I have a shot at Harvard?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Do I have a shot at Harvard?

by Stockmoose16 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:42 pm
Hello,

Wondering if anyone thinks I have a shot at Harvard, UCLA, Duke, or Stanford for Fall '09

Undergrad: Syracuse University, GPA: 3.97 (double major, finance/tv,radio, film); Class Marshal; Valedictorian; spent 4.5 months studying abroad in London

GMAT: 690

Work Experience: 5 Years working in scripted television -- including a 2 year stint on "Will & Grace"

Extracurricular Activities: Pacific Coast Baseball League

I'm worried my GMAT is too low for any of the top schools, given the stiff competition expected for this application season. What are your thoughts?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sckvck » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:41 pm
from what i understand gmat score is not the be all end all.690 is an excellent score. I am no admission consultant but I am applying to Sloan with a 1.4 grad gpa. and a 680 gmat. Pay attention to your essays and if you have strong recommendations I think you stand a competetive chance. This is just my 2 cents. Take it for what it is worth.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:10 am
Dear Stockmoose16,

From the looks of your profile, I'd say you certainly have a shot at the schools on your list. While the GMAT result is a bit below their averages, my sense is that your unique professional background - if pitched properly in your essays and rec letters - could help you overcome that.

One last question: Have you taken the test just the one time? What were your percentile scores on math and verbal?

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

by Stockmoose16 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:09 am
Graham wrote:Dear Stockmoose16,

From the looks of your profile, I'd say you certainly have a shot at the schools on your list. While the GMAT result is a bit below their averages, my sense is that your unique professional background - if pitched properly in your essays and rec letters - could help you overcome that.

One last question: Have you taken the test just the one time? What were your percentile scores on math and verbal?

Best of luck,

Graham
Hi Graham,

Yes, I've only taken the test once, but probably wouldn't be able to dedicate time to both studying and applications, which rules out another attempt at the test (unless I take it blindly). Since a 690 is the same thing as a 720 (statistically), I don't think there would be much value in re-taking the test anyway. I scored a 740 on GMATprep, but realistically, I probably wouldn't score higher than 720 on a re-take.

As for the percentiles, I received 70th percentile quant, 92nd percentile verbal, and AWA 6. I came a long way to get to the 70th percentile quant. I started off in the 19th percentile 4 months ago, and spent over 500 hours studying. So, suffice it to say, it would be highly unlikely I'd raise my quant percentile upon a re-take.

At any rate, it seems like I'm getting different responses from different consultants. Both you and Stacy Blackman consulting have said my unique profile puts me in position to have a shot at Harvard. On the other hand, Accepted.com said, "Harvard and Stanford seem a bit out of range."

I truly do not understand why I would be considered out of range for any school. I was the valedictorian of my university (Syracuse), carried a double major (finance and Television, radio film), and finished with a 3.97 gpa. I feel that even though my GMAT score is slightly below Harvard's average, statistically, a 690 is the same thing as a 720. Furthermore, my four years of near-perfect college work, which involved heavy quant, should more than suffice as evidence that I can succeed.

How many people applying to business school worked in scripted television? It's got to be under 1%. I imagine it's much harder for an i-banker who scored a 720 to differentiate himself from the crowded field of applicants than it would be for me to do so.

You mentioned that if my unique professional background were to be pitched properly, it would improve my chances of acceptance. How do I pitch this in a compelling manner? One of my biggest challenges in the essay process is that I spent 5 years doing menial assistant work, which is the norm in Hollywood. Unlike other industries, you simply have to have a bit of luck (read: land on a hit show in its first year) to move upward. One of the reasons I'm applying to business school is because I'm sick of making calendars and answering phones, and want to do something challenging.

Anyway... I hope all this info helps in evaluating my chances of getting into Harvard, UCLA, or Stanford. I'd hate to waste the time or money on the applications if my chances are slim-to-none.

Thanks!

by Stockmoose16 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:11 am
sckvck wrote:from what i understand gmat score is not the be all end all.690 is an excellent score. I am no admission consultant but I am applying to Sloan with a 1.4 grad gpa. and a 680 gmat. Pay attention to your essays and if you have strong recommendations I think you stand a competetive chance. This is just my 2 cents. Take it for what it is worth.
I assume you meant to write 3.4 gpa, as a 1.4 probably wouldn't get you in anywhere. 680 isn't a bad score at all, it's statistically equivalent to a 710, so I'm sure you're in good shape.

Best of luck with your apps!

by sckvck » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:07 am
No I did mean 1.4. I had other priorities in mind besides studying. Doing an Mba was never in my future plans. Hell making it alive the next day constitued most of my days plans. Well as far as writing me off I would not be so cruel. Since my great educational experience I have worked for a packaging company where I have worked on projects and been quite sucessful. Result....Project manager of a worlds first machine...and 4 other projects all of which have patents pending. Plus I know someone in Sloan with a similar academic background as mine. Remember we are all human beings we make mistakes but cant loose faith because of those mistakes. Plus what is the worst that could happen..... I dont get accepted well if I take your advice and dont apply I already stand zero chance of getting in. So I would take a step back before telling people they dont stand a chance and maybe just say good luck instead of trying to pass judgement......

by Stockmoose16 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:57 pm
sckvck wrote:No I did mean 1.4. I had other priorities in mind besides studying. Doing an Mba was never in my future plans. Hell making it alive the next day constitued most of my days plans. Well as far as writing me off I would not be so cruel. Since my great educational experience I have worked for a packaging company where I have worked on projects and been quite sucessful. Result....Project manager of a worlds first machine...and 4 other projects all of which have patents pending. Plus I know someone in Sloan with a similar academic background as mine. Remember we are all human beings we make mistakes but cant loose faith because of those mistakes. Plus what is the worst that could happen..... I dont get accepted well if I take your advice and dont apply I already stand zero chance of getting in. So I would take a step back before telling people they dont stand a chance and maybe just say good luck instead of trying to pass judgement......
Sorry, man, I didn't mean to pass judgment... I wish you the best of luck. Obviously, if you have a stellar application package you'll have a shot at Sloan, as GPA is only one of quite a few considerations. Good luck!

by sckvck » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:58 pm
Hey Thanks for that bro... well wish you luck with harvard too..so you worked on will and grace huh...hilarious show....was will or jack gay in real life?....i personally do not think grace was that hot but her assistant...the one with the squeaky voice was pretty cute.. i know she had a talk show on fox called the megan mullaly show but I do not think it worked out very well...did you ever get a chance to mix in with the stars??? and back to your harvard application...have you thought out a course of action for schooling.....? would it be a radical change in what your experiences in work are? I am asking because when most Indians apply some of them start of with a basic engineering degree and make the switch to IT and then want to shift again to finance or whatever..i heard from the guy at sloan that this radical shift in carrer does not carry very well with adcom unless you have a great reason which you can explain in your essays....well anyways hope you have no hard feelings...good luck with your app....