Dispute...

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Dispute...

by mgmt_gmat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:46 am
People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, disquieting, sometimes gruesome works of art, but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
A. but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
B. but none can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
C. but not a one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
D. but no person can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
E. but none can dispute to their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

Please explain.

*edited - underlined the incorrect part of sentence
*PS - use underline while posting Sentence Correction questions.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:01 am
mgmt_gmat wrote:People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, disquieting, sometimes gruesome works of art, but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
A. but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
B. but none can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
C. but not a one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
D. but no person can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
E. but none can dispute to their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

Please explain.
IMO A

no one is llel to people ...

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by viidyasagar » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:53 pm
People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, disquieting, sometimes gruesome works of art, but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

E. but none can dispute to their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument
May we have the source of this Q please?? I have not seen a similar GMAT Q ever

I think we need to remember the 2 primary usages of None...

When No one and None are not followed by an "of", they normally mean nobody. None is more formal. None is usually treated as a plural noun, whereas no one is almost always singular.

When None is followed by an of then the usage of plural is fairly clear....for e.g. None of them are from the OG

In the above Q, i would choose B just to win a point in English grammar, not on the GMAT :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:52 pm
i liked B... but choose D
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:54 pm
Manhattan : Technically, none of + plural noun can take either a singular or plural verb form.

I have rarely seen any usage of None without OF ( most of the times NONE OF is used in conjugation)

IMO : A
I am on a break !!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:59 pm
viidyasagar wrote:

E. but none can dispute to their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument
May we have the source of this Q please?? I have not seen a similar GMAT Q ever

I think we need to remember the 2 primary usages of None...

When No one and None are not followed by an "of", they normally mean nobody. None is more formal. None is usually treated as a plural noun, whereas no one is almost always singular.

When None is followed by an of then the usage of plural is fairly clear....for e.g. None of them are from the OG

In the above Q, i would choose B just to win a point in English grammar, not on the GMAT :-)
hey vidyasagar
tahnks for expalining the usage of no one and none .....
but i am not able to connet from
to
In the above Q, i would choose B just to win a point in English grammar, not on the GMAT
considering your logic i am not able to understand B is correct bcoz of none a singular or plural

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by VikingWarrior » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:09 am
Good question!
My answer would be A. B is close but in B the usage of none leads to ambiguity in pronoun referral of "their masters' creativity"
whereas using "no one" in A eliminates the possibility of "their" referring to the people rather than the "works of art".

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by viidyasagar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:21 am
hey vidyasagar
tahnks for explaining the usage of no one and none .....
but i am not able to connet from

Quote:
to

Quote:
In the above Q, i would choose B just to win a point in English grammar, not on the GMAT
considering your logic i am not able to understand B is correct bcoz of none a singular or plural
As indicated earlier, i highly doubt whether this is a GMAT level question, because

1. We are asked to pick between none and no one and nothing else

2. More than one option seem right

"None" is infinitesimally more concise than "no one" hence i would pick B.

Let's investigate the suspect options - A, B and D

A- People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, disquieting, sometimes gruesome works of art, but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument - Seems perfect to me

B - People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, disquieting, sometimes gruesome works of art, but none can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument - This seems perfect as well

I think none is used to replace "not one". here none is singular.....check this https://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/pronouns1.htm

D - People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, disquieting, sometimes gruesome works of art, but no person can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument - If A is right then D ought to be right IMHO

I will still choose B because "none" is preferable to "no one" in English grammar, not sure whether GMAT books have ever mentioned that.

Again that doesn't mean that A and D are wrong, just that "B" stands out. Just to re-iterate i am pretty sure this is not a GMAT level question. (Note: Apart from the 1st 3-4 words, the rest of the underlined portion is inconsequential)
I have rarely seen any usage of None without OF ( most of the times NONE OF is used in conjugation)
I turned to bookshops and libraries seeking information and found none

Only two cars produced by Ferrari could reach 100 mph and none could pass the 10-second acceleration test

I think there are a bunch of other examples using none without "of"
I stand corrected on this one....

i found this piece which makes the usage fairly clear https://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/subjectVerbAgree.asp

Basically when we have "none of" look for the object of the preposition "of". If the object is singular use a singular verb. If the object of the preposition is plural, use a plural verb

For e.g.

None of the food is fresh and none of the questions are from the OG

Hope this helps

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by VikingWarrior » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:59 am
What is the OA and OE?