Disappointment with the test center

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Disappointment with the test center

by joinashish » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:55 am
Dear all,

here i like to share my experience with the test center and need your advice for further course of actions:

Dear Sir/madam,

I appeared for the GMAT test on 20/06/11. I belong to India and my test center was at Indore( Madhya Pradesh). I faced a lot of problems at the center during my test to which I like to draw your attention:

1.The test was scheduled on 11:30 a.m.; I reached to the center at 10: 30 a.m. and wanted to freshen up myself but surprised to see that water availability was not there at that time.

2.Representative provided me only one loose sheet with a thick local type marker. I requested them to provide me the extra sheet but they denied. They said that " As per rule, Pearson provides only one sheet at a time." So, I had to ask for the extra sheet every time and it was really time consuming. Several times, representative was not available to provide me the extra sheet and I had to shout for it.

3. Again to my misfortune, the marker was having the broad lead ( a thick one). When I asked, representative told me that these are provided through Pearson only. I was not able to write through that marker on the laminated sheet during my whole test; When I was frustrated enough to tell them again about the problem,then suddenly they provided me the thin pointed marker with pearson written on it.It was very easy to write from the new marker, but all in vain since I had already finished my maths test with the previous broad pointed marker till that time.

4.During break ,I complained why did not they provide me the thin pointed marker earlier, they were blank and told me that pearson provides them the limited marker and they don't have the sufficient one. This was really surprising to me, but the whole incident left me with the puzzled and disappointed mind.

4.When my Verbal section started, there was no representative to attend my raising hand and to provide me the extra sheet, when required. I had to shout a no of times for the sheets. This whole incident, and now their misbehavior really left me with the diverted mind and I was not able to concentrate on the test anymore.

5.Moreover, they did not even bother to start the Air Conditioner during the test. It was so hot and humid at the center that I was not able to concentrate.

The above mentioned problems really diverted my concentration and I was not able to put all my efforts and secure good percentile in the test which I deserved to be. I left the center with a great demise and disappointment. I am really surprised that GMAC is providing us such a test centre which even does not has the availability of water and A.C. Moreover, GMAC can not provide the thin pointed marker for the rough works which was a great disappointment.

I am really frustrated and don't know what to do. My whole 5 months preparation went into vain. I am really disappointed. I demanded from GMAC for the rescheduling of my test with the proper test conditions.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:06 am
Ashish,

Really heartbreaking to read that. You seem to have suffered a lot at the test center.
But let me get the following things straight with you to help you send a right email to beat the GMAT.
What exactly do you mean by only one loose sheet? Pearson gives one bundled worksheet with 10 or 12 sides. And you are only allowed one at a time. Is that what you got?
I demanded from GMAC for the rescheduling of my test with the proper test conditions.
What do you mean by you demanded? You already sent the email or called them?
If you haven't, I sincerely request you to tone down the language of your letter to request instead of demand.

I recommend that you write in diplomatic language. I mean impress on them that you could not give the test your best shot but saying that I am frustrated will not help you get anywhere. Write an assertive letter.

I am confident that GMAC will raise an investigation for you if they feel you have sufficient grounds for a case. They should have taken a video of your test conditions and that should help you. Don worry.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

by joinashish » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:40 am
Thanks vineesh to reply. Yes they provided me one loose sheet with a thick lead marker. I was not knowing that they should have provided me a bundle of sheets. i asked them to provide me at least two sheets to do calculations with that thick marker but they refused.

I already sent the mail with the "demand" word. Now I realize you are correct. Anyhow, lets see what will happen.

Thanks for the concern.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 am
Hi joinashish,

Sorry to hear about your experience. The lack of scratch paper would have frustrated me tremendously.

If you go to the MBA.com site (https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/test-day/gm ... rules.aspx) it clearly states that:

The test administrator will provide you with a booklet of five (5) noteboards.

I hope GMAC reviews your case favorably.

Cheers and good luck,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by joinashish » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 am
Thanks Brent for your concern.

Hope GMAC would also understand the situation and allow me for the retest.

by joinashish » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:45 am
Dear All,

I registered the complaint with GMAC; they reviewed my case and allow me for the free re- test. I received a mail from Pearson Vue stating that "we are offering you a free GMAT exam without override of 31 days policy and no revoke of scores.."

Can you please clarify this statement for me?
Can i plan my exam on July 16 of this year? If not then how long may I extend this free test?
Would it be considered my second attempt?

Further I want your valuable suggestions so that I may perform better than the previous one. I scored dismal 580 ( Q 49 & V 20) AWA: 5.0 in previous test.

Kindly help me how to improve my verbal and how much time should I ask to schedule my next exam.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:13 am
hi Ashish,

That is great news! They are allowing you to retake the test but your previous score will be held valid.

31 day policy means you cannot take this test before 31 days is completed from the previous attempt. This is because GMAC considers your previous score as a valid score.

Suggestions:
well, you have 49 in your quant, so keep practicing 4-5 questions regularly just to be in touch. For verbal, there seems to be a lot you can improve from your current V20. Do you agree? PRactice all OG questions again and OG Verbal review also. After that pay more attention to your weak areas.

Thanks
Vineesh
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)