dilemma LORs

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:690

dilemma LORs

by Andrei » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:07 am
Linda, thank you for the "Who Should Write Your Recommendation?" article!
I have one dilemma: one MBA program requests 3 LORs. I am in the same position for 2.5 years, I will request 1 LOR from my boss and another 1 from a peer.
But I am not comfortable to request 1 LOR from my previous boss (I don't have very good relations with him and I worked there only for 11 months). Is too much to request the third LOR from another peer from actual work place? Or should I ask a colleague from the previous workplaces (more than 3 years ago)?

Thank you!

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:45 pm
Hello,

The answer will depend on who in your view would add the most to your candidacy overall. Someone from three years ago would often be too far back to add much, but there's a chance that he/she would have some unique insight that would really add a dimension to your profile. Similarly, it might seem too redundant to have three people from one company, but if each really brought a fresh and unique perspective to you then it would be fine.

I suggest thinking about who really would add the most in this situation, and choose that person. Also, regarding the peer - as long as the application asks for a peer recommendation, it's fine (obviously then you must), but otherwise you should use someone who's organizationally above you.

Best regards,
Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com