Difference in comparisons.....OG

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Difference in comparisons.....OG

by madddie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:46 am
I came across 2 different sentences(both from OG) that use logical predication (comparisons)

Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska

Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska

2nd question

A study commissioned by the Department of Agriculture showed that if calves exercise and associate with other calves, they require less medication and gain weight more quickly than those raised in confinement

A study commissioned by the Department of Agriculture showed that if calves exercise and associate with other calves, they require less medication and gain weight more quickly than do those raised in confinement

Pls post the answer to both these questions with explanation
OA [spoiler] q1> B......q2>A[/spoiler]

---------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful-----ex"press" by pressing thanks :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:20 am
Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska

Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska

If you notice the 1st sentence then in that the comparison is improper as it compares Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans with Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska

If you notice second sentence then parallelism is maintainted by the introduction of second were and also comparison becomes more logical

2nd question

A study commissioned by the Department of Agriculture showed that if calves exercise and associate with other calves, they require less medication and gain weight more quickly than those raised in confinement

A study commissioned by the Department of Agriculture showed that if calves exercise and associate with other calves, they require less medication and gain weight more quickly than do those raised in confinement

First is correct because comparison being made is proper between two varieties of calves but in the second sentence there comes unnecessary action verb do and destroys comparison.......

by madddie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:43 am
Thanks....
Hmmm that is a very good explanation

Can u look into this question as well

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe inspired many musicians,including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia,whose music differed significantly from his own

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe inspired many musicians,including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia,whose music differed significantly from that of his own

Could you explain which sentence is better??

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:54 am
madddie wrote:Thanks....
Hmmm that is a very good explanation

Can u look into this question as well

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe inspired many musicians,including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia,whose music differed significantly from his own

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe inspired many musicians,including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia,whose music differed significantly from that of his own

Could you explain which sentence is better??
I had posted similar question on the forum few days back and the correct answer choice is first one...

in second answer choice usage of "that" is unnecessary as it makes the sentence awkward i.e the sentence becomes whose music differed significantly from that [music] of his own....

but the proper sentence would have been whose music differed significantly from his own [music]

part in bracket is termed as ellipsis i.e the words which are unstated but are necessary to introduce in order to maintain parallelism

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:121 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ashley@VeritasPrep » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:43 am
madddie wrote:I came across 2 different sentences(both from OG) that use logical predication (comparisons)

2nd question

Pls post the answer to both these questions with explanation
OA [spoiler] q1> B......q2>A[/spoiler]

---------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful-----ex"press" by pressing thanks :)
You know, I have to say I *don't* think the "do" would be ungrammatical per se if it showed up in the calves sentence, even I know the OG explanation says (with little if any convincing support) that it would. On the surface, the calves sentence seems like it should be as willing to take a "do" as the Aleuts sentence is to take a "were." The OG explanation "justifies" the need to strike the "do" with the explanation that the comparison is between "calves" and "those" (other calves), but that doesn't seem like a valid justification, since in the Aleuts sentence, the comparison is between [Inuits of the Bering Sea] and [Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska], yet the OG doesn't make the same argument in that sentence as in the calves sentence.

But I do think there's a good argument for the inclusion of "were" in the first sentence and for the exclusion of "do" in the second. In the first, we NEED something else to making the meaning clear. In its initial form, we've got "X were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Y." In this form, the sentence could mean either that

(1) X were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Y were isolated from contact with Europeans, OR that
(2) X were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than X were isolated from contact with Y.

The problem is that there's no way to tell which the sentence means, from its initial form. So acceptable fixes would be either (1) inserting a "were" before Y -- which clearly then conveys meaning (1), or (2) inserting "they were from contact with" before Y -- which clearly then conveys meaning (2). Since again, there's no way of knowing initially what the sentence "means" to mean :), you can bet that only one of these fixes would show up among your answer choices. Whichever one showed up would be fine.

As for the calves question, the question as written in the OG doesn't actually *require* you to make a decision regarding whether to include the "do," since the two more glaring issues are the answer choice splits between "associate" and "associated" (we definitely need "associate," which narrows our choices down to C, D, and E) and the follow-up choice among "required," "have required," and "require" (we definitely need "require," so it has to be E).

But, since the "do" question is a good one anyway, if I had to make that call, I'd opt out of the "do" -- again, not because I think it's actually ungrammatical, but because here I think it clouds the meaning a bit more than it helps it. No meaning help is needed here as the sentence isn't logically subject to the ambiguities that marked our Aleuts sentence, do the "do" isn't necessary from a clarity perspective. And if we insert the "do," it seems possible to me to construe it as only replicating the one verb "gain weight," thereby sort of leaving "require medication" OUT of the comparison, when in fact we want it to be in.

I'd venture to say that on the test, the only situations in which you might be forced to make a decision strictly about "do" (or "does" or "did") inclusion will be ones in which the actual MEANING is ambiguous without something like a "do" to clarify it. "I like pizza more than my brother" could have two entirely different interpretations, so I NEED to insert either "does" or "I like" before "my brother" to give that sentence clarity.

If the meaning isn't ambiguous, look for other errors or requirements of the sentence (such as those tense requirements and violations that show up among the OG answer choices for the calves sentence) and don't worry about what the "do" is doing or not doing :)

Good luck on your test, maddie!
Ashley Newman-Owens
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Post helpful? Mosey your cursor on over to that Thank button and click, please! I will bake you an imaginary cake.

by madddie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:21 pm
Thanks Ashley!!!!