Didn't Waive the right to view recommendations HELP!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700
Hi All,

Like a bonehead, I did not put much thought into my decision to waive my right to view the recommendations. I realizd when it was too late that it probably wasn't a smart move. I never intended to see the recs nor did I see them.

I have already submitted applications to Yale, Cornell and will submit to NYU this friday. Is it worth my while contacting the admissions offices and mentioning that I did not put much thought into the reprecussions of the question and that I had no intention to see the letter, nor have I seen them?

Please advise, I feel as though I should move quickly on this, should I call?

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by westsew » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:31 am
samus33 wrote:Hi All,

Like a bonehead, I did not put much thought into my decision to waive my right to view the recommendations. I realizd when it was too late that it probably wasn't a smart move. I never intended to see the recs nor did I see them.

I have already submitted applications to Yale, Cornell and will submit to NYU this friday. Is it worth my while contacting the admissions offices and mentioning that I did not put much thought into the reprecussions of the question and that I had no intention to see the letter, nor have I seen them?

Please advise, I feel as though I should move quickly on this, should I call?

HELP!!!!!!!!!
As long as I know some schools do not let you view your recommendations after a final decision is made about you. So maybe you should mention in interview...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by brianm » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:26 pm
I feel like an idiot, I think I did the same thing (sent recommendation info a long time ago). Unfortunately my apps are submitted in Round 2 so I don't know what to do at this point. I guess just bear it and hope it doesn't affect me, but I really hate myself for not waving my right.

I don't feel like I can go ask them to change it because that looks sloppy. I really hope this is not an issue. I'm getting sort of sick over this, I can't believe I did that.

I can't find any stories of people waiving the right and getting in, but maybe it's because it's not that big of a deal?? (I hope).

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by clawhammer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:47 am
I didn't waive either. Can anyone tell me if it can really affect the process? I really didn't think of this matter this way.

The information act is there for our right to see them, and my recommender really didn't care if I waived or not. I just wanted to have them available to me after admission decision. It's not if I trust them, but I wanted to learn through the process if there was anything that wasn't that good. Of course the recommender I chose won't talk about something negative (why would anyone even do that after agreeing to write a letter?), but if maybe I can see the letter and if I think I can choose someone else. Also, even though I know they will write good things, I would love to know what the they wrote about me - it's like a trophy.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:31 pm
clawhammer wrote: (why would anyone even do that after agreeing to write a letter?)
Unfortunately, it does happen :-( I haven't experienced it and I made sure my recommenders had my back fully! I made sure I sat with them... told them my goals... let them ask questions... told them the schools I was applying too.. etc etc. I feel good about my recommenders. It's a good feeling.

As for the people who didn't waive the right does the recommender see that you didn't waive the right?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:55 am
Recommendations are given more weight if you waive the right. The Adcom believes that the recommenders are more comfortable being completely honest if they know you don't know what they wrote.

The main issue with this is that if you don't waive your right, this means that the recommender knows (or could know know) that you have the right to see what they write. In theory, this could make the recommender less likely to be completely honest (he/she doesn't want to write negative things because you might know) and, therefore, the Adcom doesn't take the recommendation as seriously. If you are afraid of what your recommender might write then you should NOT waive the right so that you can read it first and only submit it if it is favorable. However, it is always best to trust your recommenders and waive your rights (and assume that they'll write good things!).

I would NOT contact the admissions office to draw attention to the fact that you "didn't think about it" - this just makes you look bad. If you are truly worried, you could have one of your recommenders send a letter or call the adcom to say unsolicited good things about you and address the issue. But, again, this could just draw more attention so something that isn't necessarily a huge deal. If you have the option to waive the rights on the NYU application that you have not yet submitted, I would do so. But, just don't worry about what has been done in the past.

Make sense?
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by Jeffreym1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:42 pm
Personally, I would never waive my rights to such a thing. I have confirmation as well that LOR writers have no clue whether or not you have chosen to waive. Regardless of my choice, I was admitted to veterinary school, a six percent entrance rate for out of staters. Just to add, when I called admissions requesting copes oud my LORs, they made a big stink about it, as if it was their right to refuse the request. Don't give up rights so easily. You never know when you might be curious and you'd like to see the weaknesses the writers may have pointed out, in order to better yourself in the future.

by weave » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:10 am
To the previous poster (veterinary school), maybe it's different for vet school, but recommenders certainly do see whether or not you have waived your right to view their recommendation. Since the vast majority of these things are being done now online, it says it right on the web page whether or not an applicant has waived his/her right. It also is visible when you use paper applications, as that info is checked off by the applicant. I'm a professor and write lots of letters all the time so I know this is the case. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't waive your right? If you trust your recommender, it shouldn't matter. This idea of using a recommendation to work on your weaknesses is kinda ridiculous. I don't know how much useful info you will really glean from a rec letter.